History


Click here to read the ‘Village News’

The residents of Glenside had their own newsletter, called “Village News,” filled with stories, commentary, humor, poetry and just about anything else that struck their fancy.

Because each page was created individually, they would put together one issue, which would then be passed around the community. (There is a buck sheet at the end indicating when each reader received the paper and when they passed it along)

In this the Oct. 29, 1933 issue, discovered by Patti Slobogin, whose mother lived in the village when she was young, the issue appears to have been passed around to eight of the then 13 homes.

It took nearly three weeks for the paper to make the rounds, so while it came out prior to the November election, when the “mayor” offered to give his job to anyone who wanted it, it appears that residents were still reading the issue long after the results are in.









 

 


Click here to view ‘The Deserted Village and The Blue Brook Valley’, by James B. Hawley










Click here to view  ‘The Deserted Village’ by Arthur L. Johnson










Click here to view the National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form