- Address: 909 Caldwell Ave., Union, NJ 07083
- Hours of Operation: Third Sunday 2:00 – 4:00 and by Appointment
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 908-591-9161
- Website: www.unionhistory.org
Built in 1730, the Parsonage of the Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church was home to James, the “Fighting Parson” and Hannah Caldwell. Together the couple had nine children and moved to the Parsonage after their home in Elizabeth was burnt down by Loyalists who opposed James’ criticism of England. The Parsonage was in close proximity to the Battle of Connecticut Farms and was attacked by British soldiers on June 7th, 1780 where Hannah Caldwell was mortally wounded by a nervous soldier in front of her children and two servants. Her untimely death became the inspiration for many local men to fight for the revolutionary cause. The original house was burnt down by fleeing British soldiers from the Battle of Connecticut Farms but was rebuilt on the same foundation in 1782. The house that is seen today was built on the foundation of the original Parsonage.
The Caldwells have not been forgotten and Hannah Caldwell’s death is depicted on the Union County seal. They are both buried in the 1st Presbyterian Cemetery and the Caldwell’s are remembered for their contribution to the Revolutionary cause. Today, the house is owned by the Union Township Historical Society and remains open to the public including exhibits on Union’s founding families and two centuries of clothing, furniture and much more.
“Union County: Battleground of Freedom” is made possible through a project grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State; the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders; the Crossroads of the American Revolution Association; the Greater Elizabeth Chamber of Commerce; and Liberty Hall Museum at Kean University.