You are not permitted to give or assist an inmate in gaining possession of anything considered to be contraband. To do so may subject you to criminal prosecution under NJ Statute 2C:29-6 (B). ALL VISITORS ARE SUBJECT TO SEARCH WHEN ENTERING THE FACILITY, EITHER BY METAL DETECTOR, WAND SCAN AND/OR PAT FRISK.In order to visit an inmate, the following procedures must be followed.
Your name must appear on the inmate’s visiting list
The inmate prepares his/her visiting list, and may make changes to it every 30 days. We cannot give out any information regarding the names that appear on the inmate’s visiting list. This information is confidential to the inmate. If you plan to visit, please have your ID ready and the front door officers will tell you if you are on the visiting list.
All visitors must have current and valid identification.
Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Alien Card
- Valid Military ID
- Photo ID from DMV
You must be at least 18 years of age, or be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian.
The parent or legal guardian’s name must appear on the inmate’s visiting list.
Proper Attire is required for all persons entering the Union County Jail
- No transparent, fishnet or see-through clothing
- No clothing that exposes undergarments
- No skin tight clothing (legging or tights may be worn as an undergarment underneath a skirt or dress)
- Tops must cover shoulders and midriff area (no tube tops, tank tops, halter tops, low cut shirts or shirts that expose the midriff, torso or back.
- Bottom garments (pants, skirts, or dress) must be no shorter than mid-thigh length
- No bottom garments that have a slit that reaches more than three inches above the knee.
- No clothing that may relay a message in either wording or art that could impact upon the safety, security or orderly operation of the facility, including but not limited to, that which may be considered offensive, racist, sexually orientated, or that which advocates illegal or narcotic activities.
- No otherwise clearly inappropriate attire, as deemed solely by the Union County Department of Corrections.
The following items are not permitted in the Visiting area
- Pocketbooks, briefcases, or diaper bags (one diaper and one baby bottle may be permitted when hand carried)
- Food or drinks
- Jackets or coats
- Cell phones, beepers or other electronic devices
- Credit cards, back access cards, etc
- Condoms, cosmetics, cigarettes, lighters or matches
- Money (coin, cash or money order, checks)
- Non-prescription glasses or sunglasses
- Medication (prescribed or otherwise) (life sustaining medications ie; asthma inhalers, etc. must be clearly labeled and surrendered to the “Visit Supervisor” before entering the visiting area).
- Weapons or shape objects, or any other item deemed by the Union County Department of Corrections that may pose a threat to the safety, security, and/or orderly running of the facility.\
Inmates Last Name A-L
Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
9:00 – 11:00 AM
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Inmates Last Name M-Z
Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
Numbered passes for the 9:00 AM visiting session are given out on a first come, first served basis at the front door by 7am
Numbered passes for the 1:00 PM visiting session are given out on a first come, first served basis at the front door by 11am
Protective CustodyAlphabetical by Inmates last name
M-Z Tuesday – Thursday- Sunday Males – 6:30 – 9:00 PM
Passes given out at 6:00 Females – 6:00 -9:00
Passes given out at 6:00 PM Close Custody Unit 6:30 – 9:00 PM on Fridays
Passes given out at 6:00 PM
Visiting hours may change at the discretion of the Director. Changes will be posted in the inmate housing unit and on the front door of the facility. Emergency closings will be posted as necessary.
You are not permitted to give or assist an inmate in gaining possession of anything considered to be contraband. To do so may subject you to criminal prosecution under NJ Statute 2C:29-6 (B)
Attorneys and/or their representatives can consult with their clients at the following times:
- 8:00 – 11:00 AM
- 1:00 – 4:00 PM
- 6:00 – 9:00 PM
- Seven days per week
If you require the services of an interpreter or paralegal, please contact the Administrative Lieutenant in advance at 908-659-2014.
There is no need to schedule your visit. Please bring current and valid ID ( i.e. bar card, Driver’s License), with you.
No cell phones or briefcases may be taken inside the jail. You are not permitted to give anything other than legal papers to an inmate.
Inmate Accounts and Commissary
Commissary items may be purchased by inmates utilizing their inmate account. You can make a deposit in an inmate’s account by mail, in person, phone, or on-line. To make a deposit by mail, money order or certified bank check must be used. It must contain the inmate’s name, commitment number & return address. Personal checks and cash are NOT accepted.
There is a maximum of $200.00 for any single money order.
- In person: bring in money order, certified bank check, credit card, or cash(credit card and cash – kiosk only)
- Online: accesscorrections.com (must have commitment number)
- Phone 866-345-1884 (must have commitment number)
Please be advised that Union County Jail will deduct a $50.00 Administrative charge from all inmate accounts. This amount can be paid over several deposits. We will always leave $10.00 of any deposit in the inmate’s account until the Administrative fee is paid. Example: if $20.00 is deposited, $10 will go toward the Administrative charge and $10.00 will be left in the inmate account for purchases. Please note Medical charges are deducted separately. Upon release if an inmate still owes for Administrative and/or medical fees the balance will be deducted from any remaining funds.
Money orders which arrive at the jail after an inmate is released or transferred, will be returned to the sender, providing the sender’s name and address is on the money order, and legible. If an inmate is transferred to another institution, a check will be mailed to the institution.
You can drop money orders, certified bank checks at the jail or use the kiosk 7 days a week from 6:00 AM – 12:00 AM located in the facility’s lobby vending machine area.
Union County Jail – SecurePak Program
Access SecurePaks is your one stop shop for sending gifts packages to an inmate in the Union County Jail.
To place your order call : 1-800-546-6283 or online @ www.unioncountypackates.com. Customer Service hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am – 12:00am est. and Sat. 11:00am – 5:00pm est.
You may also put money in commissary by calling 1-800-345-1884
For additional information call: 908-558-2537
Inmate Mail should be addressed as follows:
Inmate’s Commitment number
Union County Department of Corrections
15 Elizabethtown Plaza
Elizabeth, NJ 07207-3480
Packages are not accepted. Reading material, such as newspaper, books and magazines must come directly from the publisher or an approved bookstore.
Inmate Phone Service
You can initiate an account with our inmate phone vendor GTL by calling 1-866-230-7761.
This will enable inmates to make collect phone calls to your residence.
Clergy visits are scheduled on Fridays 9:00 – 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Please bring appropriate current and valid identification with you. All bibles, religious material or articles of religious dress must be submitted to the Supervisor of Social Services. Under no circumstances are you permitted to give anything to an inmate.