Office for Persons with Disabilities & Special Needs
Manuel Ramirez, Coordinator
About the Office
Welcome to the Office for Persons with Disabilities & Special Needs website! We are delighted that you’ve chosen to visit us on the world wide web. By clicking on the links listed below and your left, this site will provide you with important information about the programs and services we offer, as well as the many state and federal resources available.
You will have the opportunity to read information on a variety of topics. You may contact the office at 908-527-4781 or via e-mail. We hope that you find this resource useful, and that you will come back often.
The Advisory Board on the Disabled (ABD) meets throughout the year to study and evaluate matters affecting the interests of Union County residents with disabilities and advise the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders accordingly. For more information about the ABD, please contact (908) 527-4807.
The office works to advance independent living and assists consumers with disabilities in realizing their full inclusion in all aspects of county life. The Office also promotes community-based living options.
- To provide recreational and social opportunities for residents living with special needs including physical, cognitive and developmental challenges;
- To provide outreach to community groups and organizations to identify needs and interests of persons and families living with special needs as an opportunity to design effective programs;
- To develop additional resources to fund programs targeting engagement of persons living with special needs;
- To identify and implement an effective means of communication to educate community residents on programs and social events available such as yoga, ceramics, zumba, cooking, golf, swimming, sensory friendly theatre shows, a carnival and a barn dance.
Ceramics for Adults*
330 Helen Street, Linden
Session 1 Tuesdays, February 5th and 12th 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Session 2 Tuesdays, March 5th and 12th 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
710 South Avenue, Westfield
Session 1 Saturday, February 16th, 9:30am – 11:00 am
Session 2 Saturday, March 30th, 9:30 am – 11:00 am
YMCA of Fanwood – Scotch Plains
1340 Martine Avenue, Scotch Plains
Update coming soon
Yoga for Teens and Young Adults*
Trailside Nature and Science Center
452 New Providence Road, Mountainside
Session 1 – Mondays January 21st – February 25th 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Session 2 – Mondays March 11th – April 15th 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Check out our previous event page to learn about what we offer.
New Jersey Resource Guide
Please complete the form below to contact the Union County Office for the Disabled with any questions or concerns. To be added to our mailing list, please enter “Add to mailing list” in the Subject line. Note: fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
We always welcome your input and suggestions. Please fill out our survey.
Personal Assistance Services Program (PASP)
The Office administers the Personal Assistance Services Program (PASP) in Union County. The PASP helps program participants pursue vocational goals and live independently. The PASP can assist people with disabilities who are working, going to college, attending a vocational training program or involved in volunteer activities (minimum of 20 volunteer hours per month). To be eligible, PASP applicants must have a permanent physical disability, be age 18 through 70, be capable of self-direction, able to supervise a personal assistant and live in a community-based residence in New Jersey. Personal assistants can assist with essential daily living activities such as bathing, dressing, wheelchair-bed transfers, meal preparation, light housekeeping, laundry, shopping, as well as other chores and errands. Contact: Helen Alvarado, PASP Coordinator, 908-527-4845
* Program (if marked *) is made possible by funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant Program.
** Program (if marked **) is made possible by funding from the NJ Department of Community Affairs, through a Recreational Opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities Grant.