School Board Election Information
2013 Instructions for Annual School Election Petitions:
Candidate Nominating Petitions must be filed with the County Clerk by the deadline of Tuesday, June 4 before 4:00 p.m.
The County Clerk’s Office is located at 2 Broad Street, Room 113, Elizabeth, NJ 07207. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact the County Clerk’s Office at 908-527-4996 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Petition Form can be obtained by calling 908-527-4996 or in person at the County Clerk’s Office.
Qualifications and Instructions for Petition
Candidates filing a nominating petition for school board must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a resident for at least one year preceding the date of election in the municipality where he/she is to be elected
- Is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- Is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1*
- Is a registered voter in the school district
*Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the New Jersey Department of Education.
Instructions for Petition
1. Before circulating the petition complete section “A. Nominating Statement” and section “B. Signatories” above the area for the signatures, printed name, residence and mailing address.
2. Then have voters sign, print their name and print their complete residence. The candidate must sign if he/she is the person circulating the petition.
3. Once all signatures are gathered the person who circulated the petition for the signatures must take the oath in section “C.Verification” before a notary public.
4. Section “D. Notice” is the notice to which all candidates must comply.
5. In section “E. Candidate’s Acceptance and Oath of Allegiance” the candidate must take the oath before a notary public.
Number of Members of the Board of Education to be elected in each School District in Union County at the 2013 School Election to be held on November 5, 2013.