You are not permitted to give or assist an inmate in gaining possession of anything considered to be contraband.
To do so may subject you to criminal prosecution under NJ Statute2C:29-6 (B) In order to visit an inmate, the following procedures must be followed.
Your name must appear on the inmate’s visiting list
The inmate prepares his/her visiting list, and may make changes to it every 30 days. We cannot give out any information regarding the names that appear on the inmate’s visiting list. This information is confidential to the inmate. If you plan to visit, please have your ID ready and the front door officers will tell you if you are on the visiting list.
All visitors must have current and valid identification.
Acceptable forms of identification are:
Valid Driver’s License, Passport, Alien Card, Valid Military ID, Photo ID from DMV
You must be at least 18 years of age, or be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian.
The parent or legal guardian’s name must appear on the inmate’s visiting list.
Proper Attire is required for all persons entering the Union County Jail
- No transparent, fishnet or see-through clothing
- No clothing that exposes undergarments
- No skin tight clothing (legging or tights may be worn as an undergarment underneath a skirt or dress)
- Tops must cover shoulders and midriff area (no tube tops, tank tops, halter tops, low cut shirts or shirts that expose the midriff, torso or back.
- Bottom garments (pants, skirts, or dress) must be no shorter than mid-thigh length
- No bottom garments that have a slit that reaches more than three inches above the knee.
- No clothing that may relay a message in either wording or art that could impact upon the safety, security or orderly operation of the facility, including but not limited to, that which may be considered offensive, racist, sexually orientated, or that which advocates illegal or narcotic activities.
- No otherwise clearly inappropriate attire, as deemed solely by the Union County Department of Corrections.
The following items are not permitted in the Visiting area
- Pocketbooks, briefcases, or diaper bags (one diaper and one baby bottle may be permitted when hand carried)
- Food or drinks
- Jackets or coats
- Cell phones, beepers or other electronic devices
- Credit cards, back access cards, etc
- Condoms, cosmetics, cigarettes, lighters or matches
- Money (coin, cash or money order, checks)
- Non-prescription glasses or sunglasses
- Medication (prescribed or otherwise) (life sustaining medications ie; asthma inhalers, etc. must be clearly labeled and surrendered to the “Visit Supervisor” before entering the visiting area).
- Weapons or shape objects, or any other item deemed by the Union County Department of Corrections that may pose a threat to the safety, security, and/or orderly running of the facility.
General PopulationInmates Last name A-L
Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
9:00 – 11:00 AM
1:00 – 3:00 PM Inmates Last name M-Z
Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday Numbered passes for the 9:00 AM visiting session are given out on a first come, first served basis at the front door by 7:00 AM Numbered passes for the 1:00PAM visiting session are given out on a first come, first served basis at the front door by 11:00 AM
Protective CustodyAlphabetical by Inmates last name
M-Z Tuesday – Thursday- Sunday Males - 6:30 – 9:00 PM
Passes given out at 6:00 Females – 6:00 -9:00
Passes given out at 6:00 PM Close Custody Unit 6:30 – 9:00 PM on Fridays
Passes given out at 6:00 PM
Visiting hours may change at the discretion of the Director
Changes will be posted in the inmate housing unit and on the front door of the facility. Emergency closings will be posted as necessary.