FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 1, 2012
Contact: Sebastian D’Elia, (908) 527-4419
Tom Plante, (908) 527-4746
“Art in the Gardens” Features Free Music & Dance
Performances over Columbus Day Weekend, Oct. 6-8
ELIZABETH, NJ – “Art in the Gardens,” an October celebration of National Arts and Humanities Month, takes place over the Columbus Day Weekend, October 6 – 8, at Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth, New Jersey. “Art in the Gardens” features instrumental, vocal and dance performances in the Center Court of the Mall. This year, the Columbus Day Weekend Splash is planned with free performances starting on Saturday and continuing through Monday. This annual event is coordinated by the Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs in the Union County Department of Parks & Community Renewal and it is made possible by a HEART (History, Education, Arts Reaching Thousands) Grant from the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
“Art in the Gardens is an excellent opportunity for a busy Union County venue to host talented local musicians and dancers and present them to a wide and diverse audience,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “The Board of Chosen Freeholders is proud to have this annual event in Union County.”
The weekend’s scheduled performances are:
- Saturday, October 6th:
- 11:30 a.m. – Noon: Oxygen Box Band;
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: University of Philippines Alumni & Friends Rondalla Traditional String Ensemble;
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: SIOS of Elizabeth;
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Kenny Woods of Summit, singer/songwriter;
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: COMPAS of Elizabeth;
- 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.: Chinese American Music Ensemble of Westfield, chorus and instrumental performances.
Sunday, October 7th:
- 11:00 a.m. – Noon: Blanca Rosas of Elizabeth, singer/songwriter;
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Elizabeth High School Dance Dynamics;
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Rahway Valley Jerseyaires Barbershop Chorus;
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Yasko & Kokonuts of Garwood, jazz performers;
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Shubanjali School of Performing Arts of Scotch Plains, Indian classical and folk dances.
Monday, October 8th:
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Jill Cagney of Cranford, singer/songwriter;
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Jennifer Lynn School of Irish Dance of Union;
- 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.: Framework Acoustic Jazz Quartet.
“Since opening its doors in October 1999, Jersey Gardens has become the center of the community; therefore, it is a natural fit for us to host the celebration of the arts in Union County,” said Crystal Stell, Marketing Director for Jersey Gardens. “We have been overwhelmed by the local talent right here in our own backyard.”
“Our goal is to raise awareness of the arts in Union County and the many artists who deserve recognition for their achievements,” Ms. Stell added. “Our shoppers come from all over the tri-state area and beyond; this is an opportunity to showcase our local talent.”
Jersey Gardens, New Jersey’s largest outlet shopping mall is located on Kapkowski Road at Exit 13A of the New Jersey Turnpike and features 200 stores all under one roof.
For more information about “Art in the Gardens,” contact the Union County Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs at 633 Pearl Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07202. Telephone: (908) 558-2550. New Jersey Relay Users dial 711. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.