FEMA Disaster Recovery Center

Hudson County Building. 830 Bergen Avenue. Jersey City, NJ 07306

Hours: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm; Monday thru Saturday

Información en español

Preguntas más frecuentes

Ayuda De Desempleo Por Desastre

Rental & Housing Assistance

Families and individuals in the declared counties who are registered for federal disaster assistance and seeking rental resources can search through hundreds of listings on the FEMA Housing Portal. The site is updated regularly but families are advised that properties listed in the Housing Portal are only potential housing options, and they should contact the property owner to check if the listed unit is still available.

Social Serve — http://www.socialserve.com

Social Serve is a 501(c)(3) organization that uses technology to improve access to housing searches. They offer a toll-free bilingual call center to assist people looking for housing more easily access the listings. They also specialize in post-disaster housing placement.

New Jersey Housing Resource Center — http://njhrc.gov 1-877-428-8844

NJHRC (powered by Social Serve) is New Jersey’s site for landlords, agencies and individuals with regards to housing. There is a banner link on the main page for people affected by Sandy. This takes you to a search page with numerous listings in various price ranges (mostly over $1000/month). From this link you are given a menu of four options:

  • Rentals
  • With Accessibility Features
  • For Sale
  • Temporary Housing Due to Hurricane Sandy

FEMA Hotels for Transitional Housing — www.femaevachotels.com/

Find a hotel participating in the Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA) Program on this website. Includes info about pet deposits.

FEMA Housing Portal – http://asd.fema.gov/inter/hportal/home.htm

FEMA website listing places accepting Section 8 up through $10,000/month listings. Almost 6500 units available as of Nov. 13/12.

Housing Counseling Agency 800.569.4287

Tax Relief for Hurricane Sandy Victims

Click here for information.

Foreclosure & Banking Information

Financial Information

Freddie Mac Suspends all Evictions, Foreclosures in Hurricane Disaster Areas

Financial Assistance for Eligible Residences

The types of financial assistance offered by FEMA to eligible residents include:

  • Temporary rental help or a stipend for hotel lodging.
  • Repairs or replacement for a home or business damaged by the storm (for damage not covered by existing insurance; property owners should also contact their insurance company).
  • Help with medical, dental or funeral expenses.
  • Help with mental health counseling.

One important form of help that FEMA can offer is disaster unemployment assistance. This program is designed for persons who have lost their jobs due to the storm, but who are not eligible to receive conventional unemployment insurance payments.

In addition, FEMA can help connect eligible residents with legal services, for example in settling landlord-tenant issues that may arise as a result of storm damage. A complete description of FEMA assistance programs for individuals and households is available for download at the “Help After a Disaster” page at fema.gov.

Parks, Athletic Fields, Picnic Areas & Special Event Reservations

For safety reasons, all Union County Parks remain closed. Athletic Field, Picnic and Special Event Permits are cancelled until further notice. Echo Lake Park remains closed. Sledding is not permitted at this time.

FEMA Hotlines

The Disaster Distress Hotline for those who need counseling in coping with the crisis. The number to call is 1-800-985-5990 or Text: ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746 On the web, Visit: disasterdistress.samhsa.gov. The Disaster Legal Service Helpline is now operational. The number is 866-864-4464.

FEMA Community Relations Teams continue to go door to door and visit County warming stations to interview residents and inform them of the FEMA claims process. Once a Disaster Recovery Center has been established, FEMA will notify you. Residents should contact FEMA at www.disasterassistance.gov or 800-621-3362 to begin their claim process.

Debris Clean-Up / Home Repair

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 201.261.4449

  • Assistance with debris clean-up; removing drywall, insulation, flooring, furniture, appliances; tarp roofs, etc. / Services provided free of charge and provide the tools & equipment necessary to complete the work.
  • Between November 10 & December 22, 2012
  • Priority given to senior citizens, first responders, and others with special needs.
  • Sites: Anywhere in New Jersey
  • Call: 201.261.4449 Hours: 7:00am – 9:00pm

SIPA (Structural Insulated Panel Association) – Blue Roof

  • Supplies for home repair including blue roofing and plywood.
  • Location: Russell Bldg #460 (Visitors Center across from Main Gate of Fort Monmouth), Oceanport, NJ
  • Contact: David Acres (615.428.7093)


Senior Shelter is located at at 201 W. 4th St. (Stillman School) in Plainfield. The Salvation Army in Plainfield will provide hot meals and the site will be in need of approximately 200 cots, which Union County will ship.

Our Union County Shelter continues to operate at 220 Walnut Avenue in the Community Center at Cranford. Call 908-709-7283, press 2 when prompted. The shelter is also pet friendly, but residents must bring their own supplies and cleanup equipment. The Red Cross has volunteers manning the shelter with assistance from resident volunteers. The UC Sheriff’s Office will provide transport for ambulatory residents to the shelter. They should call 908-654-9881 to arrange transport.

Many Warming Centers have opened throughout the County in addition to the regional shelter. For information about centers in your area, please contact the OEM at 908-654-9881.

Small Business Loans

The Union County Freeholders are pleased to work with the UCEDC to offer a fast track loan program for businesses impacted by Sandy. Loans in the amount of $15,000 in working capital are available and able to close in two weeks. An additional, more substantial program may also be forthcoming. Contact UCEDC at 908-527-1166 or www.ucedc.com

FEMA representatives can also help business owners get in touch with the Small Business Administration to find out about their eligibility for low-interest disaster loans.

SBA Encourages Hurricane Sandy Survivors in New Jersey to Apply for Assistance Before Insurance Settlement

Flyer from the SBAFact sheet from the SBA

Non-Profit Eligibility for FEMA Assistance

The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) has provided an explanation of what non-profits can apply for in terms of assistance in the recovery from Hurricane Sandy.

Those nonprofits eligible for other essential governmental services include museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, rehabilitation facilities, shelter workshops and facilities that provide health and safety services of a governmental nature. Health and safety services are essential services that are commonly provided by all local governments and directly affect the health and safety of individuals.

Low-income housing, alcohol and drug rehabilitation, programs for battered spouses, transportation to medical facilities, and food programs are examples of health services.

For more information: http://www.fema.gov/public-assistance-eligibility

Tips for Requesting Service Reconnections from JCP&L

Thousands of Jersey Central Power & Light customers sustained significant damage to their homes and businesses as a result of Hurricane Sandy. As repairs are completed, customers will need to have their service reconnected. Here are some tips and information to make the reconnection process easier.

>  There are dedicated Service Crews handling reconnection work.
>  Residents should have a licensed electrician make repairs to their homes.

If the customer has a functioning electrical service entrance, including the meter – JCP&L will complete the service reconnection. If the meter was removed due to severe damage or flooding – JCP&L will install a new meter after the service is repaired by a qualified electrician and inspected by a state inspector.

> The inspector will provide certification that the work has been done properly, and will fax the cut-in card to 888-914-9140.
> The inspector will attach a sticker with the inspection date on the meter pan.
Customers should have their home address or account number when calling the company to request reconnection.
> Because of the volume of requests, it could take a few days for service to be reconnected.

To schedule a service reconnection, customers should call 1-800-662-3115.

Dealing with Mold & Mildew in your Flood Damaged Home

Click here to view the informational brochure from FEMA

Resources for Union County Seniors Age 60 and Older

Please call the Union County Division on Aging at 1-888-280-8226

Resources for Persons with Disablilties

Persons with disabilities can call the Union County Office for the Disabled, 908-527-4807

Families with special needs children: Children’s Specialized Hospital has resource information prepared to assist families of children with special needs in the aftermath of the current storm. The document also contains valuable contacts for this specific population. In addition, they have a tip sheet compiled by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network which provides general guidelines to help children after a hurricane. Children’s Specialized Hospital 330 South Avenue, Fanwood, NJ 07023 (908) 233-3720


Low Income Home Energy Assistance 800.510.3102

Pet Rescue Hotline of NJ 855.407.4787

Hunger Hotline of New York 855.407.4787

Current Road Information www.511NJ.org

United Methodist Committee on Relief 800.554.8583 www.umcor.org (assistance with clean-up & rebuilding, counseling & support for children)

Social Security Card 800.772.1213 www.socialsecurity.gov (7:00 am – 7:00 pm)

Document Replacement