Trailside Nature & Science Center

  For more information about Trailside programs and exhibits, go to: www.ucnj.org/trailside

             In 1941, a small nature display was set up on a table in the corner of a plant nursery maintenance garage. It was so popular that the whole building was quickly given over to exhibits and became the Trailside Museum, a name that came from the National Park Services model for museums located next to trails.

            The building was expanded in 1952. In 1961, the facility was renamed the Trailside Nature & Science Center, and a Planetarium was constructed alongside the Museum in 1969.

            A modern Visitor Center, designed by nationally renowned architect Michael Graves, was erected uphill from the older buildings in 1975, and that building was expanded in 2006.

            Today, this environmental education facility is perhaps the oldest surviving trailside museum in the United States. It is open daily from noon to 5:00 p.m. See Video.






The original Trailside Museum opened in 1941 in the corner of a nursery building in the Watchung Reservation

Ten years  later,brought a major addition to the museum, along with a planetarium.






Jump to a Site

1 2 3 4 Spur 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Credits

Home | Privacy Statement | Sitemap | Contact Us

Union County Administration Building 
10 Elizabethtown Plaza 
Elizabeth, New Jersey 07207
County Switchboard (908) 527-4000 
Toll Free Information (877) 424-1234