The Union County Board of County Commissioners presents
CALL FOR ENTRIES
2023 Union County
Senior Citizens ART EXHIBIT
Professional & Non-Professional Artists | 60 years of age & up
Sunday, April 16th
Online Registration is required. Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page ⬇️
Tuesday, April 18th from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
Union College of Union County, NJ (Scotch Plains Campus)
1776 Raritan Road in Scotch Plains (Located on the campus of UCTVS, near Martine Avenue)
April 20 – June 1 (12:30 pm)
Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm (open Tuesdays until 8 pm)
Closing Reception & Artwork Pickup
Thursday, June 1th
- Reception & Awards: 11 am – 1 pm
- Artwork Pickup: 1 pm – 4 pm
Any artist age 60 or above, currently residing in Union County, may submit one entry. It must be an original artwork completed within the past three years. The entry cannot be an artwork previously entered in the Union County Senior Citizens Art Exhibit.
PROFESSIONAL: Person meeting 2 or more of the following qualifications:
- has sold their art through commercial channels including galleries, online galleries, craft shows, art shows, etc.
- holds (or has held) professional membership in an arts guild or association
- has been exhibiting work for 2 or more years in professional galleries and/or professional art exhibits *
- has had work selected for 2 or more juried art or craft shows *
- has received 2 or more awards for their artwork *
*EXCEPTIONS: These do not apply if you’ve entered work only in the Union County Senior Art Exhibit.
NON-PROFESSIONAL: Anyone not meeting 2 or more of the criteria above for a professional.
- Acrylic Painting
- Craft – one-of-a-kind original creations only; craft kits or molds cannot be entered
- Digital Art – artwork generated or significantly altered with computer graphics software (this category does not include digital photography)
- Mixed Media – artwork combines two or more mediums, no one of which clearly predominates; includes collage and assemblage
- Oil Painting
- Pastel – includes chalk and oil pastel
- Printmaking – includes etching, engraving, lithograph, woodcut, monoprint, monotype, silkscreen, etc.
- Photography – includes photographs taken with either a film-based or digital camera
- Sculpture – any work designed in three dimensions, carved or constructed in any medium (except some crafts); abstract or figurative; painted or unpainted
- Watercolor Painting – includes gouache
- Works on Paper (Drawing) – includes hand-drawn works in media including charcoal, pencil, pen, ink, graphite, crayon, or a stylus of any sort
RULES & REQUIREMENTS FOR ARTWORK & DISPLAY
- Entry must be the original creation of the artist. Reproductions (such as giclee or other digital copies) of artwork will not be accepted. Artwork made using a kit, or copying another person’s artwork, will not be accepted.
- Any hanging artwork, including photos and crafts cannot exceed 30″ in any dimension, and cannot be less than 10″ in any dimension. Measure artwork including frame.
- Sculpture or 3D craft work cannot exceed 20“ in any dimension. For 3D work, measurements must include any base. Artwork cannot exceed 40 pounds. Artwork cannot have separate unconnected pieces or insecurely attached parts.
- Jewelry should be mounted to display (not loose), and may be framed to hang if desired.
- Artwork must be delivered “show-ready” on April 18.
- 2D hanging work must be framed and wired securely (with screw eyes). Saw hooks are not accepted. Matting is recommended. Paintings on canvas do not need to be matted/framed, however edges should be painted or finished.
- Protect 2D artwork if necessary with Plexiglas, Mylar or other clear, protective material. We recommend Plexiglas (not glass), to avoid damage to artwork/glass. For 2D hanging art that exceeds 24″ in any dimension, please do not submit work protected with glass (use Plexiglass instead).
- Artwork must be labeled with a completed 2023 Artwork Label. Download label here. If needed (if you don’t have a printer), a label will be provided at drop-off.
- Any entry valued at more than $399 must be insured by the artist through their homeowners/rental insurance or through a fine arts rider; and the insurance company name must be provided with registration. Generally, artwork is covered up to approximately $399 under a standard homeowner’s policy.
- Enter your artwork in the correct category, per the list below. Artwork categorized incorrectly will be moved to the appropriate category at the discretion of staff or jurors.
- Register your entry online on this web page using the form below. If you don’t have an email address, a friend or relative may register on your behalf using their email; or call 908-558-2552 for assistance (weekdays).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DELIVERING ARTWORK
Prepare artwork according to all requirements above.
Fill out the Artwork Label clearly and tape it securely on the back of 2D hanging art at lower right corner. For 3D free-standing artwork, tape label to the base. It may be attached lightly to 3D work.
Deliver artwork to the Union College Scotch Plains campus, April 18 from 9:30 am – 1 pm.
All possible care is taken to safeguard artwork; however, the County of Union does not insure artwork exhibited and does not assume responsibility for loss or damage incurred. Therefore, artwork valued at more than $399 must be insured, and artist must provide the name of the insurance company with registration.
After delivery, artwork shall not be removed from the exhibit until June 1, when staff signs out the artwork and hands it to the artist or artist’s representative.
Pick up your artwork* on June 1, between 1 pm and 4 pm, after the closing reception. To prevent damage to artworks, only staff will remove the artworks and each piece will be signed out.
*Artwork awarded 1st place is automatically entered in the state-level NJ Senior Art Show and does not need to be picked up. County staff will store and transport 1st-place artworks to the state show in the fall.
For questions or assistance with registration, contact the Union County Office of Cultural & Heritage Affairs at 908-558-2552 (NJ Relay Service: 711) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.