Categories
Prosecutor

Press Release for March 30, 2011

 

 

 

Categories
Prosecutor

Arrest made in 3/16 Plainfield Homicide

A Middlesex County man was arrested earlier this morning and charged with the recent shooting death of a Plainfield man.

Malcolm Bradley, 22, of Edison was located and arrested on Fox St, Edison, NJ several hours ago, announced Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

Members of the Union County Homicide Task Force were able to locate Bradley, who was with several other people inside the residence and was arrested without incident, said Romankow.

Bradley is charged with the 1st degree murder of Curtis Stroud who was shot and killed around 1:30a.m. on March 16, 2011 in Plainfield.

At the time of his arrest a Bradley was carrying a loaded handgun. He also faces weapon charges. Bail was set at $1 million and Bradley is currently being held at the Union County Jail.

The New Jersey State Police and the Edison Police Department assisted in the arrest.

Categories
Prosecutor

Man Wanted in connection with Plainfield Homicide

Felony murder/weapons complaints have been lodged against Jonathan Morgan, aka “J-Rummy” for the shooting death of taxi driver Isidro Leonardo, which occurred on Sep 28, 2010 in Plainfield, announced Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow. Leonardo was killed at approx 5:50 am on Spooner Ave, Plainfield. A second defendant, Wallace Parrish (Plfd resident) was previously charged on Oct 02, 2010 and remains in custody. Both defendants are Blood gang members of the Sex, money murder sect. Investigation handled by the Homicide Task Force with the assistance of the Plainfield Police Department. Bail set at $750,000 NCA by Judge Stuart Peim, said Romankow.

 

Jonathan Morgan is a black male, 24 years old, 5’5” tall, 160 lbs, tattoo on chest “Tammy”, His last known address was on Flintrock Rd, Willingsboro, NJ, said Romankow.

He should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information on his whereabouts should call Detective Kevin Grimmer of the UCHTF at tel# 908-447-3777 or the Union County Crimestoppers hotline 908-654-(TIPS)8477. Complaints signed on March 17, 2011.

Categories
Prosecutor

Man Pleads Guilty in Plainfield Armed Robbery

The ringleader of a group of thieves who broke into the home of and terrorized an elderly Plainfield resident, pleaded guilty in court today to a charge of 1st Degree Armed Robbery, said Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

Ronald Cherry DOB: 5/17/1986 of Plainfield will be sentenced to 18 years in prison for his role in the horrific home invasion that left the victim, now 86-years-old, with severe burns, stab wounds and head injuries sustained from a hammer, said Assistant Prosecutor Patricia Cronin, who prosecuted the case. The victim was hospitalized for three days following the attack.

On August 25, 2008, Cherry and two others forced their way into the West 8th Street home of the victim and over the course of an hour beat, stabbed and burned the man before making off with $300 in cash and a few credit cards, said Cronin.

The victim, who was bound managed to free himself and call police. The two other robbers, Robert Harris DOB: 9/25/1992 of Plainfield and Shevon Ricks DOB: 1/11/1984 of Camden were arrested on September 3, 2008 following another burglary in Scotch Plains where they used the another burglary victim’s credit card at a Wal-Mart.

Ricks pled guilty on Feb 23, 2010 to several charges including 1st Degree robbery during the course of kidnapping. She will received 13 years in prison and is currently awaiting sentencing. Harris was waived up to adult court and pled guilty on May 24, 2010 to 1st Degree Kidnapping and will receive an 8 year prison sentence, said Cronin.

Cherry was arrested on September 14, 2008 and he is scheduled to be sentenced on July 8, 2011.

Categories
Prosecutor

Arrest Made in 3/20/2011 Elizabeth Homicide

The Union County Homicide Task Force arrested and charged a Newark man with Felony Murder for his role in a shooting death that occurred inside an Elizabeth motel room just hours earlier, said Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

Juary Brito, 22, of Newark is also charged with murder, robbery and weapon offenses in the shooting death of Julio Duarte, 48 of Belleville. According to the investigation, Duarte was in a room at the Spring Lane Motel (930 Spring St, Elizabeth) with several other people around 1:30 a.m. when Brito entered and began an armed robbery.

During the course of the robbery Duarte was shot several times and upon the police’s arrival was rushed to University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:30a.m., said Romankow.

Members of the Task Force were quickly able to identify Brito as the suspect in the case and located him on Ferry Street in Newark around 6 p.m. He is currently being held on $700,000 bail at the Union County Jail and will have a court appearance in the coming days.

These criminal charges are mere accusations. The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Categories
Prosecutor

Maryland Teenager Pleads Guilty

A Maryland teenager who sent a threatening message via the Internet saying students in Berkeley Heights were in danger of being shot while in school, pled guilty yesterday to causing a false public alarm, said Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

Using an Xbox Live account, the teenager was able to obtain the user name and password of a Governor Livingston High School student following an online transaction involving the Madden NFL game, said Romankow. The transaction was on a third party website and not connected to either Microsoft or the game developer. Maryland teenager then sent a message to nearly 100 people, including students Governor Livingston High School pretending to be the user, said Romankow. In the message, the teen said he was going to bring a gun to school the following day and would be shooting fellow students.

The message was sent on January 25, 2011 at 10:48p.m., said Romankow. Several concerned parents of students notified the Berkeley Heights Police Department within several hours of the message being sent.

An investigation was immediately launched by the Berkeley Heights Police Department who sought additional help from the Prosecutor’s Office High Tech Unit, said Romankow. Detectives were able to determine that the message originated from a location in Maryland.

Members of the High Tech Unit and Berkeley Heights Police Department traveled to Maryland with local officials where they interviewed the teenager. The investigation revealed that the teenager in question had conducted an online transaction with the New Jersey teen a few hours before sending the threat. The Berkeley Heights teenager had no previous knowledge that his user name or password had been stolen and was not charged in the case.
The Maryland teenager was later charged in New Jersey with causing a false public alarm.

As part of his plea, the Maryland teenager received one year of probation, must complete 40 hours of community service and is required to write a letter of apology to both the students and staff at Governor Livingston. He must also write a five-page report on the book “Columbine” by David Cullen and pay the mandatory fines and penalties plus a civil penalty of $2,000. His probation will be transferred to Maryland.

Romankow urged parents and guardians to get more involved with their children’s Internet activities and to take the time to educate themselves with the particular programs and devices children use to communicate with one another.

Categories
Prosecutor

Elizabeth Police Officer Arrested

An Elizabeth, N.J. police officer was charged this morning with shaking down undocumented immigrants for money, saying he would not turn them into authorities in exchange for payment, announced Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

Rocco Malgieri DOB: 2/10/1968 of Brick Township is charged with 2nd Degree Theft by extortion, 2nd Degree attempted extortion, 2nd Degree Pattern of official misconduct, 3rd Degree Official misconduct, 3rd Degree Bribery and 3rd Degree Soliciting Bribes.

Malgieri, who joined the force 19 years ago, turned himself in to Prosecutors this morning with his attorney Donald DiGioia, and immediately was immediately suspended without pay by the Elizabeth Police Department, said Romankow.

According to the investigation, beginning in February 2011 Malgieri would make unwarranted motor vehicle stops of Hispanic men, question them about their residency status and threaten to report them to immigration officials unless they gave him money, said Romankow. The stops occurred while he was on duty.

Currently there are seven victims who have reported that Malgieri solicited payments from them. The payments ranged from $100 – $150, according to the investigation, Romankow.

Malgieri was released on a $20,000 property bond and is scheduled for a first court appearance on March 30.

This remains an active investigation and anyone with information may call Sgt. Edward Koenig at (908) 527-4914.

These criminal charges are mere accusations. The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Categories
Prosecutor

East Orange Man Convicted

An East Orange, N.J. man was convicted last week of eluding officers following a chase through the towns of Mountainside and Springfield, announced Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

According to the investigation Ricardo Sudlow DOB: 9/18/1980 was inside a stolen car that was parked in the driveway of an unoccupied home that was under construction. An officer on routine patrol in the neighborhood noticed the suspicious of the vehicle and when he went to investigate, the car took off at a high rate of speed turning onto Rt. 22 East, near New Providence Road, said Assistant Prosecutor Peter L. Benza, who prosecuted the case.

The officer was joined by two other marked units and while attempting to stop the stolen vehicle, Sudlow crashed into one of the units, causing damage and impairing ability to control the car, said Benza. Subsequently, the stolen car crashed into a curb and rolled over once before coming to a stop.

Sudlow managed to exit the vehicle and ran across the four lanes of the highway and into a wooded area behind a shopping center. He was apprehended by police a short time later, said Benza.

A jury found Sudlow guilty after about four hours of deliberation and a three day trial, said Benza. He was found guilty of the following charges: 2nd Degree eluding, 3rd Degree Aggravated assault, 3rd Degree receiving stolen property and 4th Degree resisting arrest.

He faces up to 10 year in prison when he is sentenced on April 14, 2011.

Categories
Prosecutor

East Orange Man Convicted

An East Orange, N.J. man was convicted last week of eluding officers following a chase through the towns of Mountainside and Springfield, announced Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

According to the investigation Ricardo Sudlow DOB: 9/18/1980 was inside a stolen car that was parked in the driveway of an unoccupied home that was under construction. An officer on routine patrol in the neighborhood noticed the suspicious of the vehicle and when he went to investigate, the car took off at a high rate of speed turning onto Rt. 22 East, near New Providence Road, said Assistant Prosecutor Peter L. Benza, who prosecuted the case.

The officer was joined by two other marked units and while attempting to stop the stolen vehicle, Sudlow crashed into one of the units, causing damage and impairing ability to control the car, said Benza. Subsequently, the stolen car crashed into a curb and rolled over once before coming to a stop.

Sudlow managed to exit the vehicle and ran across the four lanes of the highway and into a wooded area behind a shopping center. He was apprehended by police a short time later, said Benza.

A jury found Sudlow guilty after about four hours of deliberation and a three day trial, said Benza. He was found guilty of the following charges: 2nd Degree eluding, 3rd Degree Aggravated assault, 3rd Degree receiving stolen property and 4th Degree resisting arrest.

He faces up to 10 year in prison when he is sentenced on April 14, 2011.

Categories
Prosecutor

Task Force Investigating Plainfield Homicide

The Union County Homicide Task Force is investigating the shooting death of a Plainfield man that occurred earlier this morning, said Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

At approximately 1:30a.m. Wednesday a man, suffering from a gunshot wound was dropped off at Muhlenberg Hospital by several men who quickly left the hospital, said Romankow. The men were located a short time later and are being interviewed.

The victim, Curtis Stroud DOB 1/13/1980 was pronounced dead at 1:45a.m. and the Union County Homicide Task Force was notified. A short time later, a crime scene was located at the Intersection of Berckman St. and South Avenue. Detectives continue to gather and examine evidence and interview potential witnesses.

This remains an active investigation by the Task Force and Plainfield Police Department. Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Michael Triarsi at (908) 966-2301