Three indicted in Summit Homicide Investigation

This afternoon a Union County Grand Jury indicted three individuals on murder and robbery charges in the death of a Summit man last summer, said First Assistant Union County Prosecutor Albert Cernadas, Jr.

Nigel Dumas DOB: 4/17/1991 of Morristown, Khayri Williams-Clark DOB: 1/7/1992, of Summit and Hakean Fitzgerald, 18, who had previously been charged as a minor but was waived to adult court on January 13, 2011 face charges of Felony Murder, First Degree Murder and robbery charges.

According to the investigation, on July 17, 2010 Abelino Mazariego, 47, was found unconscious in the Prominade Park off Springfield Avenue in downtown Summit around 9:25 p.m.

He was taken to Overlook Hospital in serious condition and remained unconscious until his death on Tuesday July 20, 2010.

Mazariego had finished work at a local restaurant, stopped at a few local businesses and then settled on a park bench to enjoy an evening in Summit.

At some point, the suspects entered the park and several of them began to speak with Mazariego and according to the investigation, several of the defendants in the case hatched a plan to steal cash and property from the victim.

According to the investigation, Williams-Clark stood behind the victim and held a white tee shirt over the victim’s head while Fitzgerald, who was 17-years-old at the time, punched Mazariego with brutal force. Dumas then punched the victim a second time.

The attack was recorded on a cell phone by one of the individuals in the area. The force of the blows knocked Mazariego unconscious and the teenagers then fled the scene.

Good Samaritans discovered the victim and contacted police. After Mazariego was taken to Overlook hospital, doctors informed officers that the victim was in a grave state but said there was no indication that a crime had taken place. Several days later, a family friend of the victim reported that she had seen a video of the attack. The family was told of the video and they contacted police on July 20, a few hours before Mazariego died.

Upon learning that a video of the attack existed, investigation was immediately launched by the Summit Police Department.

Investigators were able to quickly identify the teenager who recorded the attack and after watching the video was able to identify suspects. Arrests were made shortly after Mazariego died.

The defendants will have a first court appearance scheduled in the coming weeks.

These criminal charges are mere accusations. The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.