Frequently Asked Questions for Landlords

As a landlord, you play an essential role in the ERAP and are encouraged to actively participate to be eligible for funding. Registration is required for landlords to participate as a vendor in the program and receive funds directly on behalf of their approved tenants.

How do I register for ERAP?

Online registration is open for landlords within County of Union.

Registration allows tenants and landlords to be matched up within the system and for landlords to see the status of tenant applications. If a landlord is not registered, the landlord will receive a registration invitation when a tenant applies to the program and provides landlord information on the application.

If you experience problems when registering or have questions about the program, you may call 1-866-657-4273 to speak with a Customer Call Center Representative who will provide support and guidance. The call center is open from 9 AM until 5 PM est. Monday through Friday.

What information do I need to collect for tenants and what documents must I upload to register myself?

You will need all of the following when registering:

  • Completed W9 form
  • Main mailing address to mail payments to, if approved
  • Addresses for all of your rental properties applicable to the program
  • Acceptance of the program’s terms and conditions
  • Verification of tenant(s) residing at the property, as needed, and relationship with tenant(s)
  • Complete and electronically sign the Rental ledger form listing past-due rental payments for each tenant who applies.

What does the assistance pay for?

The funds are for payment towards past-due rent, past-due electric bills and past-due gas bills, if applicable. Funding must be applied to the months approved by the program. Payments for utility bills will be handled directly through the utility companies.

If an approved tenant received previous shelter assistance from the County for a month that remains past due, the program will not be able to duplicate the eligibility payment for that month(s).

Is there a funding limit to what landlords can receive?

There is no limit to what landlords can receive as the funding will be covering households. Landlords could have multiple households approved for funding because of the number of properties they have within County of Union.

Assistance provided can be up to 12 months of past-due rent from March 13, 2020 April 1, 2020 or later, per household. It may also cover the current month and prospective month, which is considered on a case-by-case basis if applicable.

Who is eligible for ERAP?

Residents who meet the following criteria are eligible:

  • Rent in County of Union
    • Cannot be renting a homesteaded property
    • Cannot be related to their landlord
    • Cannot be relocating to new location
  • Household income must be at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI) as reported on 2020 Federal Income Tax filing (IRS form 1040 Adjusted Gross Income), or as calculated across all W-2 and/or 1099 forms. Priority access will be given to eligible households at or below 50% AMI or with zero income the 90 days prior to the application date
  • Financially impacted due to the COVID-19 pandemic starting April 1, 2020. Examples of COVID-19 impacts include:
    • Qualified for unemployment compensation benefits
    • Experienced a reduction in income
    • Incurred significant costs or experienced other financial hardship, due directly or indirectly to COVID-19, that threaten the household’s ability to pay the costs of the rental property
  • Households seeking rental assistance must have active lease with past-due payment
  • Proof of past-due utilities: copy of each month of your past-due utility statements – electricity and gas only, and the statement must clearly show the amount due and separate balances due for each utility type (must have the name of someone in your household)

Can I apply on behalf of my tenant?

Landlords cannot apply on behalf of tenants but are encouraged to share the program details with tenants and assist tenants as they see appropriate. Registered landlords will receive notifications about tenant applications and are asked to provide rental ledgers for each tenant’s past-due rent. Prompt responses to ERAP application requests will help expedite the process and payment, if tenant application is approved.

Can a tenant in an income-restricted affordable housing complex apply for assistance?

Tenants who receive other housing benefits, like Section 8 or other housing vouchers, are eligible for assistance to cover their required percentage of rent. The Emergency Rental Assistance Program cannot duplicate housing benefits already being provided to residents.

If my tenant is approved for assistance, how long will it take to receive the money?

Every request is unique and processing eligibility and payment time will vary. Your payment could take several weeks to arrive, but you will be able to track the status of the account online. Payments will be mailed directly to the mailing address you provide when you register.

Are there eviction restrictions tied to this program?

If you have been notified that your tenant has been approved for ERAP funding, payment will cover up to 12 months of the tenant’s past-due rent as well as three months prospective rent.

If you already filed, a tenancy action with the courts, you must remove action currently in place. Further, you are encouraged not to file again for three months after assistance ends.

Is it mandatory for landlords to participate in this program?

It is mandatory if you wish to receive payments to cover your approved tenants’ past-due rent. If you opt out of the program or do not agree to the registration terms and conditions, payment may be provided directly to the tenant (additional information will be required).

If funding is received, what do I need to do for record keeping?

You must keep records proving that your tenant’s account was credited (amounts, months) for a period of at least five years. This will be needed for every tenant for whom you receive funding through ERAP. Audits may be conducted by the federal awarding agency, Inspectors General, the Comptroller General of the United States, the, or any Union County authorized representatives.

You will need to allow these entities the right to access any documents, papers, or other records pertinent to the Federal award. If the County ascertains – via audit or otherwise – that you misspent awarded funds (e.g. did not apply awarded funding to your tenants’ rental arrears) then you must promptly return those funds to the County. Failure to promptly return the funds may result in the County seeking any available legal remedy.

I’m having trouble submitting my Tax ID during registration. What do I do?

When registering as a landlord, you will need to enter your Tax ID number as numbers only. It won’t be accepted if there are any other characters entered in the box.