Landlords and property owners will need to provide:
Completed W-9 tax form.
Documentation of rent due from rental ledger.
Must certify that the tenant is not related nor living with the landlord.
The property owner or an authorized property management company will be required to sign the application form and associated certifications agreeing that the information provided, including the amount of rental arrears owed, is accurate and does not duplicate a payment received from another program.
The property owner or authorized Property Management Company must also agree to the following terms as a condition of accepting rental arrears payments. When awarded a formal grant agreement will be drafted, terms and conditions listed below may vary.
- The County, or a designee, shall be solely responsible for determining Tenant eligibility for emergency rental assistance.
- Landlord agrees to provide County with any documentation necessary to complete the application process, and, in the event the tenant is selected for the program, any documents necessary to complete the payment process.
- Landlord agrees to waive and fully forgive any late fees associated with Tenant’s delinquent rent for any months for which a portion of the rent is paid by the County using federal funds since late fees are not an eligible cost under federal cost principles.
- Landlord acknowledges and agrees that County is not liable to Landlord for any costs, fees, damages, or amounts of any kind and that submission of this Certification and Agreement does not obligate County to provide any funds to Landlord. In the event that County determines that funds are available to pay any portion of Tenant’s rent, County will notify Landlord and all payments made shall be subject to these terms and conditions.
- Landlord agrees that it will not accept multiple payments from multiple emergency rental assistance programs for the rent amounts paid by the County. In the event that Landlord receives a duplicate emergency rental assistance payment through another such program, Landlord will reimburse County the full amount of any excess payments within thirty days of the duplicate payment.
- Landlord agrees to abide by all applicable state and federal laws governing landlords, tenants, fair housing, and residential leases in administering tenant’s lease during the entire term of the tenant lease.
- In the event that Landlord violates any of these terms and conditions or is found to have made a misrepresentation on the certification, Landlord shall forfeit County’s payment of rent on behalf of Tenant and shall upon demand by County repay the full amount of assistance paid by County in connection with this agreement to Landlord within five days of demand by the County.
- If any part of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, all other parts of this Agreement will remain valid and binding.
- The County shall have the right to audit Landlord’s pertinent books, records, files, and other documents related to the Tenant, the Tenant’s lease, payments made by the Tenant or any rental assistance program, including the County’s for a period of three years after the final payment made under this Agreement.
- Amounts of payment, if any, shall be determined by the County in its sole discretion. Landlord agrees to accept the payment by the County in full satisfaction of any and all arrears owed by the Tenant and waives any sums in excess of the payment.
- This Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey. Venue for resolving any disputes shall lie exclusively in Union County, New Jersey or the United States District Court District of New Jersey.
- The term of this agreement shall begin upon Landlord’s acceptance of any payment made by County for emergency rental assistance for the named Tenant and shall continue for the full term of the months for which rent is paid on behalf of Tenant. Landlord shall dismiss any pending complaints and withdraw any Notices to Quit against Tenant upon payment acceptance.
- It is understood and agreed that by execution of this Agreement, County does not waive or surrender any of its governmental powers or immunities.
- Landlord warrants the unit is in decent, safe, and sanitary condition as defined in 24 CFR Section 882.109, and that the Landlord has the legal right to lease the dwelling unit covered by this Contract during the Contract term.
- The person signing this Agreement hereby warrants that he/she has the legal authority to execute this Agreement on behalf of the respective party, and that such binding authority has been granted by proper order, resolution, ordinance or other authorization of the entity.
Please be advised additional documents may be requested if grant is awarded