Please have the following documents and information ready prior to applying. The information on these documents should match your relevant answers in the application. All of the mandatory fields must have documents provided before we can process your application. You may optionally attach any other evidence under “Additional documents”.
Proof of identity: copy of the front of your valid (non-expired) New Jersey driver’s license, New Jersey ID card, or passport. Individuals do not need to have a lawful immigration status to qualify for the program.
Proof of household: Applicant will have to provide a list the names of all other members of your household. A copy of valid New Jersey driver’s license, New Jersey ID card or passport for all adult (18 and over) household members (other than you), and birth certificate, school records, or immunization records for any minors in the household listed above (one per person.
Proof of residency and rental obligation: copy of your current lease (or original lease and agreement of extension with landlord), which must at minimum include:
- your name
- names of any other tenants
- property address
- amount of monthly rent
- frequency of payment
- lease start and end dates
- landlord name and address
- to whom rent is paid (if not landlord name)
- clause related to non-compliance with lease terms and conditions (such as eviction or termination of lease)
- signatures from the landlord and all adult tenants
- Please include a copy of current and expired leases, as relevant to the past due rent being requested.
Proof of income: either:
- copy of 2020 IRS Tax Form(s) 1040 (or 2020 IRS Transcript) for all household members (all names must appear somewhere on the tax documentation submitted, even if as a dependent) with evidence of finalization/submission (either physical/electronic signature on the 1040, completion of the Paid Preparer section of the 1040, or confirmation that your e-file was sent to the IRS); depending on your situation, your household may file multiple returns, and you must submit them all (preferred method), or
- copy of all 2020 W-2 and/or 1099 Forms for all household members
- For any households exempt from tax returns, other documentation explaining income status or waiver will be acceptable upon review.
Proof of past-due utilities: copy of each month of your past-due utility statements – electricity and gas only, and the statement must clearly show the amount due and separate balances due for each utility type (must have the name of someone in your household).
Documentation of rent due from rental ledger.
Must certify that the tenant is not related nor living with the landlord.
Applicants will be asked to attest that on or after March 13, 2020, a member of the household received unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs or experienced other financial hardship, directly or indirectly, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The applicant will need to sign the application form and associated certifications agreeing that the information provided in the application is accurate.
Please be advised additional documents may be requested if grant is awarded.
Please also be advised payments for this grant program will be done by Purchase Order. Physical signatures on Purchase Orders are required in order for a check to be issued.