The mission of the Office of the Surrogate is to comply with the mandates of N.J.S.A 2:5-1 et esq. and 3B:1 et seq. as they relate to Wills, Administrations, Guardianships etc; to be receptive to the needs of the people while serving them in the most compassionate, accessible, cost effective, and efficient manner; to provide outreach programs on a voluntary basis; and to educate the public with regard to the services of the office.
Programs & Services
- The Surrogate is a Judge of this Court by New Jersey Constitution and is responsible for the administration of the services offered by the Surrogates Court. In addition I serve as Clerk to Superior Court, Chancery Division, Probate Part,. My office is custodian of the funds belonging to a minor’s estate I oversee the minor’s assets and expenditures until the minor reaches majority. Processes mental incompetencies and conservatorships and handles all adoptions of minors and adults
- Superior Court, Chancery Division, Probate Part – New Jersey Court Rules 4:80-4:82
- Wills: Probate, issue Letters Testamentary, issue Letters Trusteeship, permanent depository for Probate related documents.
- Administration: Appoint administrators, issue Letters of Administration and permanent depository for related documents.
- Guardianships: appoint guardians of minors, issue Letters of Guardianship, maintain and account for Minors Intermingled Trust Fund; periodic transfer of funds to minors as per court orders.
- Deputy Clerk, Superior Court, Chancery Division, Probate Part – New Jersey Court Rules 4:83 – et. seq.
- Contested Wills, Administrations, Guardianships of Minors and Incapacitated Persons: complaints filed, processed, calendared by Court Clerk Unit.
- Adoptions: filed, reviewed and processed by Court Clerk Unit.
- Housing and retention of original Last Wills and Testaments. Filming of related court documents as required for Judiciary Court Management.