Social Services


The Division of Social Services provides assistance to the needy in Union County by administering a variety of programs including:

  • Free Vaccinations for children
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • General Assistance
  • Food Stamps
  • Emergency Assistance
  • Family Care
  • Nursing Home Care
  • Medical Assistance
  • Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD)
  • Child Support Services


The Division of Social Services has two offices on the East and West ends of Union County. Residents are welcome to visit both.

Be prepared for your next visit

Learn about the Union County Immunization Clinic


342 Westminster Avenue
Elizabeth 07208

Phone: 908-965-2700
Fax: 908-965-2752

Monday through Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm


200 West Second Street
Plainfield 07060

Phone: 908-791-7000
Fax: 908-791-7098

Monday through Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm

Need Assistance?

NJ Helps is designed to give consumers a “one-stop” shopping resource for the wide range of programs, information and services provided by the New Jersey Department of Human Services.

Find out if you qualify for more than 28 state and federal programs that can help you find housing, employment, child care, health insurance, prescriptions, pay for food and much more.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
     Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
     1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
     Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.