Expert guidance for community, school and home gardeners.
- Planning a Vegetable Garden
- Varieties for New Jersey Home Vegetable Gardening*
- Growing Tomatoes in the Home Garden
- Fertilizing the Vegetable Garden*
Soil Safety – “Know Before You Grow”
Since many parts of Union County are densely developed, we do recommend a soil test to ensure that your soil is free of harmful contaminants. Call the Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Union County office in Westfield, 908-654-9854 to obtain a soil test kit that includes shipping materials for your convenience. If the test results indicate an issue, the solution can be as simple as using raised beds filled with new soil.
Other Helpful Topics
- Grow Your Own Vegetables and Flower Seedlings*
- Container Gardening with Vegetables*
- How to Start a Window Sill Herb Garden*
- Organic Land Care
*Available in PDF format.