2 Broad Street
Attention: BCI Unit
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
The Union County Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) is the central repository for all records and files of criminal defendants within Union County. The BCI obtains and stores an array of information including fingerprints, pedigree information and pictures in order to positively identify criminal defendants and all individuals under investigation. This information is obtained either during their arrest, at their first appearance court hearing, or after their conviction and sentencing. The BCI provides professional service to all law enforcement agencies ranging from local, state and federal agencies.
Criminal Files: BCI secures and maintains thousands of Union County criminal files
Background checks for the following groups:
- County and state police agencies
- Union County Superior Court
- Police applicants
- United States Military and Armed Forces
Photo Line-Ups: Officers prepare photo line-ups for the Union County Prosecutor’s Office and all municipal police agencies in Union County
Collection of DNA CODIS samples: Officers collect DNA CODIS samples from individuals found guilty of a 4th degree or higher crime
New arrests: Officers fingerprint, photograph and obtain pedigree information for all individuals arrested on new charges stemming from the Union County Prosecutor’s Office and the Union County Sheriff’s Office
Expungements: The unit executes expungement orders of BCI criminal files and records
Union County Jail: Officers obtain fingerprints and verify the identities of all defendants admitted into the Union County Correctional facility
Live Scan records: BCI capture and send Live scan records to the New Jersey State Police and FBI
Training: Officers provides in-service training for proper fingerprint methods and Live-Scan functions
- Upon request, the BCI will participate in county wide events and outreach programs.
- The BCI will offer a variety of services including the Emergency Purpose ID cards, fingerprinting children and distribute child safety material.
Emergency Purpose Identification Cards (EPIC)
- This program, which is designed for emergency purposes, creates an ID card of either a child or an adult with special needs/senior citizen. The ID cards contain vital information of a loved one including their name, a photo, existing medical conditions, allergies, blood type, medications and emergency contact information.
- These ID cards are given to the parent/guardian and are designed to be easily accessible in a wallet.
- The primary purpose of the ID cards is to aid first responders in quickly locating a loved one in the event of an emergency.
Child Fingerprint Program
- The BCI will fingerprint children for emergency purposes. The prints will be given to the child’s parent/guardian to be retained for safe keeping.
Union County Helping Hands 365 (UCHH 365)
- The Union County Sheriff’s Office is a proud participant of the Union County Prosecutor’s Office UCHH 365 program.