Public Info

Freeholders Co-Sponsor Senior Citizens Council of Union County’s “Staying In New Jersey” event on Tuesday, April 30th

Event features exhibitions and break out talks on “How to Make Your Money Last” for seniors beginning 9 a.m. in Garwood

GARWOOD, NJ—The Senior Citizens Council of Union County will be presenting “Staying in New Jersey: How to Make Your Money Last,” a free event featuring talks, exhibitions, and screenings, running from 9 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. at the Westwood in Garwood.

The event is co-sponsored by the Union County Freeholder Board as part of Freeholder Chair Bette Jane Kowalski’s “Empowering Union County” initiatives. The Westwood is located at 438 North Avenue.

“Many of Union County’s seniors are very active and living longer than ever before, which means their finances must last longer,” said Freeholder Chair Bette Jane Kowalski, who announced initiatives for seniors as part of her “Empowering Union County” initiatives. “We’re proud to partner with the Senior Citizens Council of Union County and co-sponsor this informative and interactive event, which covers a wide variety of topics related to finance and health.”

​​​Doors open at 9:00 am with a free continental breakfast.  Attendees will have the opportunity to browse the information exhibits on display.  There will be free on-site screenings offered by local area hospitals and healthcare providers.  The formal program with a panel of guest speakers will run from 10:15am to 11:45am with time for questions.

Featured topics include:

Personal Budget Planning:  Monitoring your spending.  Prioritizing your needs.

Downsizing Your Home:  Upkeep problem or financial burden, or both?  Smaller home, rental, alternative living arrangements

Credit & Lending Options:  Home equity lines, refinancing, reverse mortgages.  Can you get a cash advance?

Getting a Job:  Full or part-time.  What are you qualified to do?  Job training and placement.

Medicaid Eligibility:  How do you qualify?  When should you apply?

Other Government Funded Support:  What are the subsidized programs for home and healthcare?

To RSVP, or for more information, please contact the Union County Senior Citizens Council at 908-964-7555 or go to or email