Categories
Public Info

Freezing Temperatures, Rain and Snow Heading for Union County this Weekend

Plan Ahead for the Next Winter Storm

Take basic precautions when using emergency generators and other alternative power and light sources.

Union County, NJ – January 14, 2022 – A deep freeze, high winds, snow, and rain are all coming to Union County over the weekend and into Monday. In case of any power outages, residents are reminded to take basic safety precautions when using emergency generators, candles, kerosene lamps and other alternative power or light sources. 

Temperatures in Union County are expected to plunge overnight Friday into Saturday, with snow and rain expected Sunday evening into Monday.

Carbon monoxide gas comes from burning fuels. It cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, but it can quickly concentrate into a deadly poison in closed, unventilated spaces.

Carbon monoxide exposure from improperly used emergency generators is a serious health risk that can lead to hospitalization or death.

Basic emergency generator safety measures include:

  • Never place a generators anywhere inside a building. That includes basements, garages and sheds.
  • Never place a generator next to a building. Carbon monoxide gas can seep into adjacent buildings and collect indoors. Always check the manufacturer’s manual for specific instructions.

Additional generator safety tips from the US Centers for Disease Control are available online at cdc.gov/co

Carbon monoxide poisoning can also result when gas cooking stoves, charcoal grills, and other open-flamed devices are used for indoor heating.

Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can build up when cars are idled in a garage, even with the garage door open. Carbon monoxide from an attached garage can easily seep into a home. Drivers who choose to warm up their vehicles should pull them fully out of the garage before letting them idle.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with symptoms of the common cold or seasonal flu. Residents who suspect carbon monoxide poisoning should call 911 immediately and let the responders know about any generators or fuel sources in or near their home.

Caution should also be exercised when using candles or kerosene lamps for lighting. Place them on a flat, stable surface that pets or small children can’t reach. Keep them well away from drapes, papers, and other fire hazards.

Visit ucnj.org to view receive winter weather updates, alerts, and other information from Union County.

To sign up online for emergency alerts by email or on a mobile device, use the “Citizen System” registration form ucnj.org/alerts. Please note that residents with land lines will continue to receive reverse-911 alerts on their home phones.

For information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including free vaccination, free testing, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.

#  #

For all Union County programs and services visit ucnj.org, call the Public Info Line, 877-424-1234, email info@ucnj.org or use the online Contact Form.

Connect with Union County on social media.