Union County, NJ – The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders reminds County to take advantage of programs and strategies for staying cool and healthy during extreme hot weather.
During extreme heat people are generally advised to stay indoors and keep activity to a low level. If there is no cooling available at home, residents can visit a library, mall, or other cooled public space where seating is available.
Union County spray parks are open today for children at Warinanco Park in Elizabeth, Phil Rizzuto Park in Union, and Snyder Park in Berkeley Heights. They will be closed on Friday and over the weekend, as cooler temperatures are expected.
Seniors citizens can visit their local senior center for relief. The following have advised the Freeholder Board that they have extended hours during the hot weather:
- Casano Community Center, Roselle Park, open to 7:00 p.m.
- Cranford Community Center, open late if seniors are present.
- O’Donnell-Dempsey, Elizabeth, open to 7:00 p.m.
- Roselle Community Center, 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Steven Sampson, Elizabeth, open to 7:00 p.m.
For more information on resources for senior citizens, contact the Union County Division on Aging toll-free, 888-280-8226.