Union County – the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the Union County Division on Aging kick off the summers “Jersey Fresh” Farmer’s Market Senior Voucher Program July 6th in Roselle Park.
“This is an important nutritional plan for seniors in Union County,” Deborah P. Scanlon, Freeholder Chairwoman said. “It helps ensure that seniors in our community get fresh seasonal fruits and veggies all summer long.”
The first voucher distribution will begin on the opening day of the Roselle Park Farmer’s Market at the Casano Community Center, 314 Chestnut Street, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. for all eligible seniors.
An individual must be a resident of Union County, age 60 years or older, and meet the income criteria. To be eligible for the $20 vouchers (four $5.00 checks), an individual’s annual income cannot exceed $20,147 and a married couple’s annual income cannot exceed $27,214. Proof of income is required and must be presented in the form of a Medicaid card, SSI card, Food Stamp verification, or annual pension & Social Security statement. Advance registration applications can be picked up at all Senior Nutrition sites and Senior Centers throughout Union County.
The Roselle Park Farmer’s Market, will be operating every Wednesday, at The Gazebo on Chestnut Street and Grant Avenue from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Additional voucher distribution locations are as follows:
• Monday July 11 from 10:00 am – 11:30am, Hillside Senior Center, 265 Hollywood Avenue, Hillside
• Tuesday July 12 from 9:00 am – 11:00 am, Bethel AME Church, 245 Hilton Avenue, Union (Vauxhall)
• Monday, July 18 from 9:00 am – 11:00 am, O’Donnell Dempsey Center, 622 Salem Avenue, Elizabeth – Farmer will be present
• Monday July 25 from 9:30 am – 11:30 am, Ann Ferguson Towers, 1601 Dill Avenue, Linden – Farmer will be present
• Wednesday July 27 from 9:30 am – 11:30 am, Plainfield Senior Center, 400 E. Front Street, Plainfield –Farmer will be present
The Farmers’ Market Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and coordinated by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services.
For information about the Farmers’ Market, Union County’s senior nutrition programs or any other senior services, call the Union County Division on Aging toll-free at 1-888-280-8226, 908-527-4870, or visit the Union County website at www.ucnj.org.