Union County-The Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Union County 4-H Youth Development Program will hold an open house for new members on Friday, Sept. 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Union County Services Building located at 300 North Ave East in Westfield.
“In addition to providing fantastic recreational opportunities for the members of our community, the 4-H program fosters positive youth development through hands on, interactive learning,” said Union County Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella.
Those attending the Open House event will be able to gather information and speak with volunteers from the following 4-H clubs:
- 1st and 2nd Grade Pet Club
- 3rd and 4th Grade Pet Club
- 5th Grade Variety Club – learn about animals and also do crafts
- 7th and 8th Grade Club – topics determined by members
- Cooking Club – 5th to 8th graders
- Dog Training Club – 4th grade and older
- Archery Club for Beginners – 4th grade and older
- Living History Club – 5th grade and older
- Horse Lovers Club – 5th grade and older
- Horticulture Club – 6th through 12th grades
- Lego Robotics Club – 5th grade and older
- Fashion Design Club – 6th grade through 12th grade
- 4-H Teen Council – 8th through 12th graders.
Sponsored in part by the Board of Chosen Freeholders, 4-H serves as the youth development program of the Union County Rutgers Cooperative Extension. They encourage a “learn by doing” approach that fosters recreational and leadership skills.
4-H Clubs are run by adult volunteers that have been screened and trained. They meet once a month, from October to June on the 2nd floor of the County Services building. To sign up for a club you must register in person on or after the open house on September 21st; minimal fees for supplies and materials will be charged.
For additional information about the open house event or any 4-H program please contact 4-H Agent James Nichnadowicz at 908-654-9854 or via email at Nichnadowicz@njaes.rutgers.edu.
For more information on any Union County press release, please contact Sebastian D’Elia, Communications Director for the County of Union, or a designee listed at the top of this press release. Please join the County of Union online at www.ucnj.org, on Facebook at www.ucnj.org/facebook, and on Twitter athttp://twitter.com/countyofunionnj.
“Rutgers Cooperative Extension is an equal opportunity program provider and employer. Contact your local Extension Office for information regarding special needs or accommodations. Contact the State Extension Director’s Office if you have concerns related to discrimination, 732-932-5000, ext. 584.”