Categories
Public Info

Plan Ahead for Hurricanes and Seasonal Storms

The months of August through October are the peak months of the Atlantic hurricane season, and the experts are anticipating an above-normal scenario for hurricane activity this year. Union County residents are advised to refresh their emergency plans now, and prepare for the possibility of a damaging storm.

“The memory of Hurricane Ida is still fresh in our minds. It was a devastating storm, and it was another warning that destructive inland flooding is a hurricane hazard, as well as high winds and coastal flooding. We encourage all Union County residents to be vigilant, and take steps to prepare for an emergency,” said Union County Commissioner Chair Rebecca L. Williams.

Weather experts with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have calculated that there is a 60% chance of above-normal activity this year, a 30% chance of near-normal activity, and only a 10% chance of below-normal activity.

Union County residents can stay up to date on any changes in the hurricane season forecast by visiting the NOAA Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service.

Basic hurricane preparedness guidance includes assembling an emergency kit that provides for three to five days of supplies in case of interruption in electricity, water service, access to a supermarket or other local services.

Emergency kits should include non-perishable food and water, prescription medications, baby supplies and any additional items for special medical needs.

The kit should also include important phone numbers for doctors as well as cell phone chargers.

A battery-operated radio, flash lights, extra batteries as well as non-electric items likes can openers should also be included.

The needs of pets should also be taken into consideration when planning and making an emergency kit.

Staying aware of developing news is also vitally important. Union County residents can sign up for Union County’s free alert system, First Alert, at ucnj.org/alerts, to receive automatic alerts and updates on their mobile devices and computers.

Residents without Internet access will receive alerts on their land line phones through the reverse 9-11 system.

For more details about preparing for an emergency in Union County, visit ucnj.org/prepare.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, recognizes National Preparedness Month each September with additional guidance, at ready.gov/september.

For information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including free vaccination, free testing, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.

#  #

For all Union County programs and services visit ucnj.org, call the Public Info Line, 877-424-1234, email info@ucnj.org or use the online Contact Form.

Connect with Union County on social media.