Although the issuance of passports is done by the federal passport agency, the County Clerk’s Passport Office, acting as an agent, is available to assist in the preparation of the application which, in turn, is forwarded to the State Department.

As of February 1, 2008, The US Department of State introduced a new travel document for US citizens called the U.S. Passport Card. This card is valid ONLY for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Citizens traveling by sea are urged to confirm with their cruise line to determine if any other ID is required for travel. If traveling by air, citizens must apply for a U.S. Passport Book. Citizens may apply for both. The requirements are the same for both travel documents.

The Union County Clerk’s Office will continue to process passport applications during the federal government shut down as the National Passport Center has advised that they will remain open during this time.  Visit for information.

Two Convenient Locations

Elizabeth – Union County Courthouse
2 Broad Street, Room 114, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
Open Monday through Friday
Business and Passport Office: 7:30 am – 4:30 pm 
Recording Office: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm 
Applicants must arrive 30 minutes before closing.
Passport photos are available at the Elizabeth office for $10.

Westfield –Colleen Fraser Building
300 North Avenue East, Westfield, NJ 07090
Open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Open Tuesday and Thursday: 8:00 am – 7:30 pm
Open Saturday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
If a holiday falls on a Friday, the Office will be closed Saturday.
Applicants must arrive 30 minutes before closing.
Passport photos are available at the Westfield office for $10.

Quick References

US Department of State