Public Trail Rides will start on August 4 by appointment only
Please email email@example.com if you are interested to book a time slot
- All participants must be 9 and older
- For safety, groups of 4 and less will be taken out with a guide
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please email us as soon as possible.
- Riders are to enter and exit the property through the people gate which will be open but will be partially blocked with a saw horse.
- Riders are to arrive ten (10) minutes early and wait on the pavement by the first barn door and stay six (6) feet apart.
- The instructor will come and get rider(s) when they are ready.
- Riders will have horses brought out to ride and taken away after ride.
- Upon completion of trail ride, you must leave the property
- Riders are to wear face masks until they are mounted. Face masks can be removed once they are not is close contact with staff or other riders. Instructors will wear face masks any time they are in close contact with riders. Hand sanitizer will be used on a regular basis.
- All patrons are to maintain social distance at all times.
- No one will be permitted in the barn at any time.
- The administration building will be closed at this time. There will be no access to the stable office.
- If you need any assistance you may call the stable office at 908-789-3665.
Cost of Trail rides:
- Per person in county $35.00/out of county $50.00
- If you wish to go out alone with the instructor on a Private Trail Ride there will be an additional $35.00 charge
We are extremely happy to welcome everyone back, however, for the safety of everyone we ask that you do not enter restricted areas at this time.
The facility remains closed to the public for daily visitations
Located in the Watchung Reservation, Union County’s Watchung Stable has a long and rich heritage. Owned and operated by the County since 1933, its goal is to provide the opportunity to learn how to ride, enhance equestrian skills or just enjoy the natural beauty of the 26 miles of bridle paths that weave through the Reservation, a 2,000-acre forest preserve.
The Watchung Stable complex consists of a main barn which houses nearly 100 County and privately owned horses, four riding rings, a show ring and an outside hunter course. A state-of-the-art facility, it is barrier-free and includes an isolation barn, paddocks, and a substantial hay and straw storage area.
The administration building includes, a general assembly room and a tack shop. Visitors are welcome to tour the facility at their leisure during regular business hours. Scheduled guided tours and programs are available for Girl/Boy Scouts, pre-schoolers, senior citizens, and organizations serving people with disabilities.