During Memorial Day weekend, and the last weekend in October, the Watchung Stable holds its annual Mounted Troop Horse Shows. Riders who are members of the Troop program at levels D2 through 1CT have a chance to compete as a fun learning experience. Beginners (D4) in the program have their own private show during their tenth lesson — friends and family are encouraged to attend.
Advanced riders enrolled in Adult Troop and members of the Riding and Driving Club, may take part in the show on Sunday. Hunter and Pleasure Classes are also offered for advanced troop riders who rent school horses and for trailered-in and privately owned horses.
Summer Camp Horse Show
All campers are eligible to participate in this summer finale held in August on the Saturday at the end of Equestrian Camp.
Watching Jr. Hunt Club Show
On the last Saturday of June, the WJHC sponsors and runs a club show, which is open to members of the Troop program. This show offers riders another chance to compete, while teaching club members how to run a horse show.
Horse Show Attire
- Spring & Fall Troop Horse Shows
- Equitation class riders must wear the full Troop uniform.
- Breeches or jodhpurs should be tan or beige
- Gloves and helmets should be black or a conservative color
- Shirts should be clean, pressed and neatly tucked in with all insignias sewn securely in place.
- Long hair should be contained in a hair net and tucked under the helmet.
- Summer Camp Horse Show
- Camp t-shirts, given to riders during each week of camp, should be worn tucked in with riding pants and boots.
- First class troopers may wear a white polo shirt.
- All Shows
- Hunter and pleasure class riders wear a hunt coat and formal show shirt with a “ratcatcher” collar.
- Competition Riding Numbers
- Numbers are tied around the midsection and lie flat on the rider’s back.
- Number assignments are posted outside of the Stable office during shows and should be picked up and returned each show day.