Union County, NJ – In advance of tonight’s storm, the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders reminds residents to follow safe operating guidelines for generators and other emergency power equipment.
“After Superstorm Sandy, many Union County residents purchased emergency generators for home and commercial use in case of another extended power outage,” said Freeholder Chairman Mohamed S. Jalloh. “With the pending blizzard approaching, now is the time to review your operating instructions, to make sure that you don’t expose yourself to carbon monoxide poisoning and other risks.”
Emergency generators must be placed outdoors, away from windows, in order to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. For more details, visit the US Department of Energy at energy.gov.
Residents should be aware that carbon monoxide poisoning can also result when household cooking stoves, grills, and other open-flamed devices are used for indoor heating.
Caution should be exercised when using candles or kerosene lamps for lighting. Place them on a flat, stable surface that pets or small children can’t reach, and keep them well away from drapes, papers, and other fire hazards.
Refrigerated foods can be compromised in case of an extended power outage. For reliable guidelines on refrigeration safety, visit Rutgers University at njaes.rutgers.edu.
In case of a power outage, always report your situation to your utility. Your information will help pinpoint the extent of the outage and aid in a more efficient response.
PSE&G: Call 800-436-7734 or visit pseg.com.
JCP&L (a First Energy company): Call 800-545-7738 or visit firstenergycorp.com.
For questions about your natural gas service, call Elizabethtown Gas at 800-492-4009.
Visit ucnj.org for updates, or receive storm updates, alerts, and other information from Union County by email or on your mobile device by signing up at ucfirstalert.org (all residents with land lines will still receive reverse-911 alerts on their home phones).