Public Info

Services are Available for Adults with Physical Disabilities in Union County


Union County NJ Home Health Aide clipartUnion County, NJ —   The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders reminds residents that financial assistance is available for adult residents with physical disabilities who need supportive services to live independently while they are employed, enrolled in post-secondary training, or involved in a volunteer activity of at least 20 hours per month.

The program, called the New Jersey Personal Assistance Services Program (PASP), is funded by the New Jersey State Department of Human Services and administered by the Union County Department of Human Services.

“This program enables adults with physical challenges to live independently at home and realize their goals for employment, education and community service,” said Freeholder Chairman Bruce H. Bergen. “It has been making a meaningful difference in the lives of people with disabilities for more than 30 years, and we hope that more Union County residents take advantage of this opportunity.”

Participants in PASP use the program to engage personal assistants who help with the many essential tasks of daily living, including bathing, meals, light housekeeping, shopping and transportation. PASP also covers assistance with bill paying and other correspondence.

“Funding from PASP strengthens the social fabric throughout Union County by enabling more residents to participate in the community and build financial security,” said Freeholder Bette Jane Kowalski, who is the Freeholder Board Liaison to the Human Services Advisory Board.

To be eligible, an individual must reside in Union County, be an adult between the ages of 18 and 70, and be capable of providing directions to an assistant. Participants in the program must contribute toward the cost of the service, based on their household income.    

For further information about the Union County Personal Assistance Services Program and other services for people with disabilities, contact the Union County Department of Human Services Office for the Disabled, at 908- 527-4840.

#  #

For all Union County programs and services visit, call the Public Info Line, 877-424-1234, email or use the online Contact Form.

Connect with Union County on social media.