The Union County Board of County Commissioners is pleased to announce the award of grants totaling $1,500,000.00 to the County’s twenty-one municipalities from the 2023 Union County Infrastructure and Municipal Aid grant program.
“The Commissioner Board is proud to carry out the Infrastructure and Municipal Aid program, which continues to contribute to the strength of social and economic life throughout our community,” said Union County Commissioner Chairman Sergio Granados. “Many of the 2023 grants reflect a continuing interest in prioritizing improvements to pedestrian access and road safety. These local projects have a positive impact across Union County, for residents and visitors as well as businesses, civic organizations and academic institutions.”
“The Infrastructure and Municipal Aid program has been a lifeline for our local governments, enabling them to move forward with vital civic infrastructure projects,” said Commissioner Vice Kimberly Palmieri-Mouded, who chairs the Board’s Fiscal Committee. “These projects will benefit local communities and the County as a whole for many years to come.”
The grant program launched in 2015. The program distributes Union County’s proceeds from the sale of Runnells Specialized Hospital to local governments, for assistance with local infrastructure projects and other governmental, social, and transportation matters.
The Infrastructure and Municipal Aid grant program is a matching grant program. The following grants have been made to municipalities for projects undertaken in the 2023 calendar year:
- Berkeley Heights, Miscellaneous Drainage & Roadway Improvements: $60,000.00
- Clark, Pedestrian Initiated Flashing Crosswalks/Library Ramp: $42,500.00
- Cranford, Inflow & Infiltration-Phase II: $90,000.00
- Elizabeth, Elizabeth River Trail Phase 4: $150,000.00
- Fanwood, Sewer Video & Lining Program: $40,000.00
- Garwood, Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Improvements; Fire House & Municipal Building Security Upgrades: $38,000.00
- Hillside, Municipal Building Door Replacement, $18,280.00
- Kenilworth, Resurfacing of Municipal Parking Lot/Replacement of Municipal Building Sidewalks: $50,000.00
- Linden, Range Road Culvert Replacement: $90,000.00
- Mountainside, Paving Improvements on Outlook Drive East: $40,000.00
- New Providence, Municipal Roadway Paving Project: $50,000.00
- Plainfield, West End & Grant Avenues Roadway Improvement: $140,000.00
- Rahway, Broad St., Maurice Ave. & Ludlow St. Improvements: $100,000.00
- Roselle, Road Resurfacing Project: $70,000.00
- Roselle Park, Capital Road Program-Various Streets: $63,000.00
- Scotch Plains, Roadwork Assistance Program: $100,000.00
- Springfield, Paving Improvements on Various Streets: $63,000.00
- Summit, Hobart Avenue Sidewalk Project: $75,000.00
- Union, Road Program Phase II, Group A, Suburban Road: $100,000.00
- Westfield, Improvement to Summit Avenue: $100,000.00
- Winfield, Various Improvements: $20,220.00
- Total $1,500,000.00
To see video presentations about many of these projects, visit Union County on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/countyofunion/videos/740042114473791.
Connect with Union County on social media.