Public Info

County Clerk Offers One-Stop Help with Passport Services, and More

PassportBy Joanne Rajoppi, Union County Clerk

June 2015

Now that the summer travel season is under way, I’d like to update you on the ways in which my office can help with passport applications and other vital services.

The Office of the County Clerk is an authorized agent of the U.S. State Department and a one-stop portal for your passport application process.

By federal law, new passports and renewals for children age 15 and under require an in-person visit by the child and parents. We can process your forms and take your photograph at either of our two locations, the historic County Courthouse at 2 Broad Street in Elizabeth or the new Colleen Frasier Building in Westfield, 300 North Avenue East.

Mass transit and nearby parking are available for both sites, and we have extended our hours to make our passport services more accessible.  The Elizabeth office is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Westfield office has a flexible schedule: Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., and Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Land records are another critical service used by many Union County residents, businesses and professionals.  That is clearly demonstrated by our Online Public Land Records property search page, which received more than 900,000 individual visits last year alone.

Information can be accessed and transmitted electronically, without the need to travel to the archives.  As a one-stop portal, our search page includes links for viewing and printing any document that has been published online, ordering certified copies by mail, and accessing our newly expanded e-recording service. Persons without Internet access can request information by phone or mail.

E-recording enables documents to be recorded electronically. If you are unfamiliar with this service, you can call my office at 908-527-4787 to find out more. 

We also provide important services for veterans. These services are all free of charge and they can be accessed remotely, online or by phone and mail.  Veterans can have their Honorable Discharge documents recorded and obtain certified copies, and receive Honorable Discharge identification cards (the “Veterans’ ID” card) and Veterans’ Peddlers Licenses. We also coordinate an online list of businesses offering discounts to holders of the Veterans ID card.

Similarly, businesses registering trade names as required by State law can conduct their transactions by mail using our downloadable forms. Persons applying to become notaries public can use our notary portal, which includes links for completing the application online or downloading mail-in forms.

If you have any questions about our services please visit our office or call 908-527-4787 Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

To view the County Clerk website visit For passport questions, call the Elizabeth office at 908-527-4966 or the Westfield office at 908-527-9859.