New mail-in process aims at preventing spread of COVID-19 virus.
Union County, NJ – Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Farmers Market vouchers for eligible Union County seniors will be distributed only by mail. Each eligible senior can obtain six $5.00 vouchers for a total of $30.00 to purchase “Jersey Fresh” fruits, vegetables and herbs at Farmers Markets that display the black and yellow WIC posters.
To be eligible, seniors must be age 60 and older. A single person’s annual income cannot exceed $1,968 per month and a married couple’s combined income may not exceed $2,658 per month.
“The mail-only distribution process will enable seniors in need to continue engaging with a popular program that adds variety and nutritional value to daily meals while supporting local farmers,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella.
Eligible seniors can request a voucher application form by calling the Union County Division on Aging, 908-527-4870 or 888-280-8226, weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Requests can also be submitted after hours and on weekends, by leaving a voice message including name, address, and phone contact, or by emailing the information to Kathleen Malkiewicz, Nutrition Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Malkiewicz may also be reached at 908-527-4877 during office hours.
A limited number of vouchers are available and applications will be evaluated on a “first-come first-served” basis.
Face coverings and social distance are required when visiting Farmers Market sites during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Participating Farmers Market in Union County are located in:
- Cranford (Dreyer Farms, 831 Springfield Avenue)
- Elizabeth (Elizabeth Avenue Farmers’ Market, Union Square between Elizabeth Avenue and High Street)
- Kenilworth ( 455 Boulevard)
- Plainfield (Watchung Avenue and East 6th Street, across from City Hall)
- Rahway (Rahway Farmer’s Market, at NJ Transit Train Station Plaza
- Roselle Park (Roselle ark Farmers’ Market, at Chestnut Street and East Grant Avenue)
- Scotch Plains (Scotch Plains Farmers’ Market, Municipal Parking Lot at 430 Park Avenue)
- Springfield (66 Mountain Avenue)
- Summit (Park & Shop #2, at Maple Street and DeForest Avenue)
- Westfield (NJ Transit Railroad Station, North Avenue Parking Lot)
For more information about the Farmers’ Market nutrition program, or any services provided by the Division of Aging and Disability Resource in the Union County Department of Human Services, call 1-888-280-8226, or visit online at ucnj.org/aging. Please note that in-person services are limited or modified at this time due to the COVID-19 outbreak
For more information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including guidance for using the Drive-Through Test Center at Kean University, visit ucnj.org/coronavirus-update.
For general information about COVID-19 and phone contacts for 24/7 assistance with questions, visit the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.