Phase 1 of the program will be available at thirteen county senior centers for registered Congregate Nutrition Program participants
UNION COUNTY – The Union County Office on Aging and Disability Services is providing nutritious, box-lunch meals to Congregate Nutrition Program participants through the “Grab and Go Lunch Program” as an alternative to congregate dining. This program will be available at 13 sites throughout the county every Tuesday and Thursday beginning on October 27th.
The “Grab and Go” program allows for safe social distancing to protect against transmission of COVID-19, while continuing to provide healthy meals for Union County’s aging population.
“Union County is working daily to adapt our services so that our residents can continue to have access to resources they depend on,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “We are proud to offer this alternative dining option to our senior population so that they can remain safe and have access to healthy meals.”
The Grab and Go Lunch Program provides registered Congregate Nutrition Program participants with an option to order a complete boxed lunch. Each meal meets one-third of the daily nutritional requirements of an adult over 60 years of age. The program is being offered for those seniors who are not currently receiving home delivered meals from Meals-On-Wheels.
Meals will be available at the 13 senior centers on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Seniors must be aged 60 or older, and a resident of Union County. A voluntary donation of $1.75 is suggested for the meal. Reservations are required.
Residents may reserve a meal by calling the Union County Division on Aging at (908) 527-4870 or (908) 527-4877. Reservations for Tuesday meal pick-ups must be made by 10 a.m. on the Friday prior and by 10 a.m. on the Tuesday prior for Thursday meal pick-ups. Reservations are only taken on weekdays.
Upon arrival on the day of pickup, Grab and Go participants should follow directions to pick up their meals at the designated location. Masks must be worn at all times, and social distancing maintained.
The 13 “Grab and Go Lunch Program” locations are:
- Gregorio Recreation Center—330 Helen St., Linden
- Hillside Senior Center—265 Hollywood Ave., Hillside
- Kenilworth Senior Center—526 Boulevard, Kenilworth
- Liberty Square Senior Center—204 Elizabeth Ave., Elizabeth
- O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Center—622 Salem Ave., Elizabeth
- Peterstown Community Center—418-34 Palmer St., Elizabeth
- Plainfield Senior Center—400 E. Front St., Plainfield
- Rahway Senior Center— 1306 Esterbrook Ave., Rahway
- Roselle Community Center—1268 Shafer Ave., Roselle
- Stephen Sampson Center—800 Anna St., Elizabeth
- Union Senior Center—968 Bonnel Ct., Union
- Westfield Community Center—558 W. Broad St., Westfield
- Winfield Community Center—25 Roosevelt Dr., Winfield Park
For more information about the “Grab and Go Lunch Program” and other programs from the Union County Division on Aging, please call (908) 527-4870 or (908) 527-4877.
For more information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including guidance for the free Drive-Through Test Center at Kean University, visit ucnj.org/coronavirus-update.
For general information about COVID-19 and phone contacts for 24/7 assistance with questions, visit the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.