Union County, NJ – The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders is pleased to announce that 13 artists from Union County have been selected as award winners in the 54th annual New Jersey Senior Citizen Art Show.
“On behalf of the Freeholder Board, I would like to congratulate our local artists for receiving awards in this statewide competition. They enrich our community through their talent and vision, and it is very gratifying to see Union County represented with top honors,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella.
To view the 2020 New Jersey Senior Art Show online visit NJSeniorArts.com. The virtual exhibit consists of first-place winners statewide, and will be available until October 2021.
The group of 13 Union County awardees includes two first-place winners. The awardees are:
- Marcia Haller (Cranford) – 1st Place, Acrylic by a Professional artist, for her painting, A Villa Borghese Muse
- Leona Seufert (Garwood) – 1st Place, Digital Art by a Professional artist, for her artwork, Life Goes On
- Janice Metzger (Westfield) – Second Place, Printmaking by a Professional artist, for her artwork, Rapa Nui Festival
- Anne Occi (Cranford) – Second Place, Watercolor by a Professional artist, for her painting, Shells & More Shells
- David Weisbrod (Union Twp.) – Second Place, Photography by a Non-Professional artist, for his photograph, Night Owl
- Roberta Zlatkin (Union Twp.) – Second Place, Mixed Media by a Professional artist, for her artwork, My Sanctuary
- Eileen Bonacci (Berkeley Heights) – Honorable Mention, Oil Painting by a Professional artist, for her work, Afternoon in Amsterdam
- Dante Bonardi (Garwood) – Honorable Mention, Watercolor by a Professional artist, for his painting, Going to Church
- Lynda DuBois-Jackson (Plainfield) – Honorable Mention, Craft by a Professional artist, for her artwork, Church Ladies
- Deborah Mainiero (Summit) – Honorable Mention, Sculpture by a Non-Professional artist, for her sculpture, Abstract Flower
- Nancy Ori (Berkeley Heights) – Honorable Mention, Photography by a Professional artist, for her photograph, Glass Ceiling
- Barbara Uhr (Westfield) – Honorable Mention, Pastel by a Professional artist, for her artwork, At the Shore
- Catherine Varnelas-Smith (Scotch Plains) – Honorable Mention, Digital Art by a Non-Professional artist, for her artwork, Doors Before Corona: Hotel rooms I’ve stayed in, in numerical order
The annual Senior Art Show is a co-sponsored project of the New Jersey State Council on the Arts and Mercer County’s Division of Culture & Heritage, funded by the Council on the Arts with additional support from Mercer County and the New Jersey Association of Area Agencies on Aging.
It is the culmination of a year of county-based senior citizen art shows held throughout the state. The artwork was created by professional and non-professional artists ages 60 and older. A panel of three art experts juried the show.
The annual Union County Senior Art Show is hosted by the Union County Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs, in the Department of Parks and Recreation. For more information about more programs, events and online resources during the COVID-19 crisis visit online at ucnj.org/cultural, call 908-558-2550, or email email@example.com.
For more information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including the Drive-Through Test Center at Kean University and the Mobile Test Unit walk-up sites, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 and updates on statewide vaccine planning are available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.