Union County, NJ – March 25, 2022 — The Union County Board of County Commissioners advises senior residents that lunchtime meals will once again be available in group settings at senior centers and senior housing facilities, beginning on the second week in April. Reservations should be made by Monday, April 4, for meals on April 7 and 8.
“The return of the congregate lunch program is another welcome sign that community life is returning to normal in Union County,” said Commissioner Chair Rebecca Williams. “We encourage all eligible seniors to participate in this popular program.”
The congregate meal program is offered to seniors who do not receive home delivered meals from Meals-on-Wheels. It is administered by the Union County Division on Aging and Disability Resource Connection.
The program provides participants with an option to obtain a complete hot lunch, fulfilling one-third of the nutritional requirements of an adult aged 60 or older.
The congregate meals will be available at the senior centers and senior housing sites on varying weekdays between the hours of approximately 11:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Participating seniors must be aged 60 or older, and reside in Union County. A voluntary donation of $1.75 is suggested for each meal.
Reservations can be made by contacting staff on-site in person, or by calling the phone numbers below. As a reminder, reserve by Monday, April 4, for meals on April 7 and April 8.
Lunch will be served at the following sites:
- Ann Ferguson Towers, 1601 Dill Ave., Linden (Monday-Friday). 908-527-4877
- Casano Community Center, 314 Chestnut St., Roselle Park (Tuesday- Friday). 908-245-9150
- Ehrhart Gardens, 100 Francis St., Union (Monday and Thursday) 908-688-0565
- Farley Towers, 33 Cherry St., Elizabeth (Monday-Friday) 908-527-4877
- Gregorio Recreation Center—330 Helen St., Linden (Monday-Friday) 908-474-8627
- Hillside Senior Center—265 Hollywood Ave., Hillside (Monday-Thursday) 908-355-8928
- Kenilworth Senior Center—526 Boulevard, Kenilworth (Monday, Wednesday, Friday; begins April 8) 908-272-7743
- Liberty Square Senior Center—204 Elizabeth Ave., Elizabeth (Monday-Friday) 908-820-4701
- O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Center—622 Salem Ave., Elizabeth; (Monday-Friday). 908-354-7431
- (update): Peterstown Community Center—418-34 Palmer St., Elizabeth; (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday). 908-820-4292
- Plainfield Senior Center—400 E. Front St., Plainfield; (Monday-Friday). 908-753-3506
- Schaefer Gardens, 35 Summer Ave., Union (Wednesday and Friday, begins April 8) 908-964-9343
- Shady Rest Golf and Country Club, 820 Jerusalem Rd., Scotch Plains (Tuesday only, begins April 12) 908-322-5151
- Stephen Sampson Center, 800 Anna St., Elizabeth (Monday-Friday) 908-820-4705
- Union Senior Center—652 Rahway Ave., Union (Monday-Friday) 908-851-5293
- Westfield Community Center—558 W. Broad St., Westfield (Tuesday, Thursday) 908-527-4877
- Winfield Community Center—25 Roosevelt Dr., Winfield Park (Monday-Friday) 908-925-2014
The congregate meal program was suspended in March 2020 at the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Division on Aging continued to deliver meals on a contact-free basis through Meals on Wheels and a grab-and-go program. The grab-and-go program will be discontinued as of April 6, when the congregate meals resume.
For more information on nutrition programs for Union County residents age 60 and older, call the Union County Division on Aging/Nutrition Program at 908-527-4877 or 908-558-2297.
For more information about all programs and resources for seniors from the Division on Aging, use the online contact form at ucnj.org/aging or call toll free, 888-280-8226.
For information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including free vaccination, free testing, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.