Earlier this evening at the Union County Board of County Commissioners meeting, the Commissioners awarded a total of $1,500,000.00 to the County’s twenty-one municipalities for the 2022 Union County Infrastructure and Municipal Aid grant program.
“As one of the largest counties in the state, keeping the vitality and safety of certain projects such as road or pavement repairs to municipal building improvements are something that is critical to keep up-to-date,” said Commissioner Chair Rebecca Williams. “I am pleased that we are able to assist our cities and towns with the funding they need to make these improvements – continuing to make Union County a great place to live, work or visit.”
Several Mayors and representatives from the municipalities in Union County were present to accept the check. A variety of revitalization projects are expected to be used with the funds – however, road improvements are on the top of the list as most requested for funding.
“Investing in our communities is a key part of our plan to accelerate long-lasting improvements across Union County,” said Commissioner Sergio Granados, who is the 2022 Fiscal Chair. “This grant program continues to have wide-ranging impacts as we emerge from the pandemic, therefore improving the vibrancy and quality of life in our neighborhoods, and making all corners of the County even more attractive and sustainable for investment and opportunity.”
The Infrastructure grant program is aimed to provide assistance that will stimulate the development of public projects of economic, social, transportation and governmental importance to local municipalities. The Infrastructure and Municipal Aid grant is a matching grant and will assist municipalities with projects being undertaken in the 2022 calendar year.
The program was created by Commissioner Christopher Hudak in 2015, developed by the County Commissioner’s Fiscal Committee and administered by the Department of Economic Development. This year’s Commissioner Fiscal Committee included: Commissioner Sergio Granados, Chair, Commissioner Lourdes Leon
Commissioner Alexander Mirabella and Commissioner Kimberly Palmieri-Mouded.
Funding for the grant is provided through the proceeds from the sale of Runnells Specialized Hospital in 2014.
To learn more about this grant or about any other program, please visit www.ucnj.org.
- Township of Berkeley Heights – Miscellaneous Drainage Improvements – $60,000.00
- Township of Clark – Capital Road Improvement Program – $65,000.00
- Township of Cranford – Resurfacing Project – $90,000.00
- City of Elizabeth – Emergency Response Facility Exterior Canopy Project – $145,000.00
- Borough of Fanwood – Glenwood Road Improvements Project – $40,000.00
- Borough of Garwood – Curb Replacements on Sections of South Avenue – $35,000.00
- Township of Hillside – Replacing Gate for Township DPW Yard – $23,650.00
- Borough of Kenilworth – Records Management Scanning, Meeting Streaming Project and Repair & Replacement of Borough Sidewalks – $50,000.00
- City of Linden – Resurfacing of Various Parking Lots – $90,000.00
- Borough of Mountainside – Road Work-Resurfacing of Fernwood Rd & Fox Trail – $40,000.00
- Borough of New Providence – Municipal Roadway Paving Project – $50,000.00
- City of Plainfield – West End Ave/Grant Ave Roadway Improvement Project – $135,000.00
- City of Rahway – Rahway Resurfacing Project – $95,000.00
- Borough of Roselle – Roselle Resurfacing Project – $70,000.00
- Borough of Roselle Park – Improvements to Little League Field Parking Lot – $63,000.00
- Township of Scotch Plains – Roadway Assistance Program 2022 – $100,000.00
- Township of Springfield – Paving Improvements on Various Streets – $60,000.00
- City of Summit – Tulip Street Improvement Project & City Hall Records Storage Improvement Project – $75,000.00
- Township of Union – Reconstruction of Kirkland Place – $98,000.00
- Town of Westfield – Improvement to Elmer Street & Improvement to Barchester Way – $100,000.00
- Township of Winfield – Various Improvements: Municipal Complex Roof, Police Door, Police Computers/Battery Backups/Printers & Fire Department Sign – $15,350.00
- Total Award Amount – $1,500,000.00