The Union County Board of County Commissioners is pleased to announce that the Union County Veterans Parking program has expanded to 14 locations in 2023, where specially designated parking spots are reserved for veterans who display an official Union County Veterans Parking placard in their car. The program is administered by the Union County Office of Veteran’s Services and helps raise public awareness about military veterans in the Union County community.
To request a Union County Veterans parking placard, use the online form on the Union County website at ucnj.org/veterans.
“We invite veterans to contact the Office of Veteran’s Services for assistance with benefits and other resources in Union County, including the Veterans Parking program. This year we continue to show our respect, appreciation and support for military veterans by continuing to expand and improve our outreach through the Chairman’s ‘Building a Stronger Union County’ initiatives for 2023,” said Union County Commissioner Chairman Sergio Granados.
The Union County Office of Veteran’s Services provides a wide variety of free, in-person guidance services for veterans including:
- Acting as the veteran’s official representative to the Veterans Administration
- Assisting with the assembling of evidence and timely submission of claims
- Helping with VA Disability Compensation claims and other VA benefits
- Assisting with Survivor’s Benefits
- Providing information on current VA regulations
- Explaining VA correspondence
- Aiding with Veteran’s Pensions
- Helping with Burial Benefits
The Office of Veteran’s Services also provides information on a wide range of resources including discharge registration, disability compensation claims, transportation, education and training, employment and veterans preference, equine therapy, VA health care and clinics, support and suicide prevention, property tax deduction/exemption, housing, job opportunities, end of life planning, military burial, special events and home loans.
Union County launched the Veteran Parking program launched in 2020 with a designated Veterans Parking spot at each of nine County locations:
- Archery Range at Oak Ridge Park – 136 Oak Ridge Road, Clark
- Ash Brook Golf Course – 1210 Raritan Road, Scotch Plains
- Colleen Frasier Building – 300 North Avenue East, Westfield
- Echo Lake (9/11 Memorial) – 1028 Springfield Avenue, Mountainside
- Galloping Hill Golf Course – 3 Golf Drive, Kenilworth – 2 Spots
- Rahway River Park (Memorial Grove Area) – St. Georges Avenue, Rahway
- Trailside Nature and Science Center – 452 New Providence Road, Mountainside
- Union County Administration Building – 10 Elizabethtown Plaza, Elizabeth
- Warinanco Sports Center – 1 Park Drive, Roselle
This year, four locations in Rahway and one location in New Providence have also been added to the program:
- New Providence Borough Hall – 360 Elkwood Avenue, New Providence (two spots)
- Hamilton Stage – 360 Hamilton Street, Rahway (two spots)
- Rahway City Hall Parking Lot – 1 City Hall Plaza, Rahway
- Rahway Public Library – 2 City Hall Plaza, Rahway
- Rahway Senior Citizens Center – 1306 Esterbrook Ave, Rahway
For information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including free vaccination, free testing and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.