The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders has announced the schedule for the county’s 2015 Road Resurfacing program. The project will resurface 13 County roads, over 12 miles of county roadway in 12 towns.
“Resurfacing makes travel on our roadways safer and more efficient,” said Freeholder Chairman Mohamed S. Jalloh. “We also make improvements to signage and striping to improve visibility, and to curbing to improve safety and accessibility for people with disabilities.”
The program is scheduled to begin in late June and run through September. Work is scheduled for nighttime in all but one instance.
The following locations are scheduled for resurfacing:
- East Broad Street in Westfield will be resurfaced from South Chestnut Street to Springfield Avenue, a distance of about 1.2 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around June 25.
- Hillside Avenue in Springfield will be resurfaced from Route 22 to South Springfield Avenue, a distance of about .3 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around July 1.
- Mountain Avenue in Springfield will be resurfaced from Morris Avenue to Clinton Avenue, a distance of about .3 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around July 6.
- South Avenue in Cranford will be resurfaced from Centennial Avenue to the Roselle Borough line, a distance of about .9 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around July 20.
- Galloping Hill Road in Kenilworth and Union will be resurfaced from Kenilworth Boulevard to Kimberly Road, a distance of about .5 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around July 24.
- West 3rd Avenue in Roselle will be resurfaced from Amsterdam Avenue to Chestnut Street, a distance of about .8 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around August 3.
- South Broad Street in Elizabeth will be resurfaced from Bayway Avenue to Rahway Avenue, a one-mile stretch. Work is scheduled to begin around August 5.
- Morris Avenue in Summit will be resurfaced from Springfield Avenue to Route 24, a two-mile stretch. Work is scheduled to begin around August 10.
- Raritan Road in Cranford and Linden will be resurfaced from Wood Avenue to Centennial Avenue, a distance of .9 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around August 24.
- Amsterdam Avenue in Roselle will be resurfaced from Wood Avenue to West First Avenue, a distance of .6 miles. Work is scheduled to begin around September 1.
- La Grande Avenue in Fanwood will be resurfaced from Terrill Road to South Avenue, a 1.3 mile stretch. Work on this roadway will be conducted during the day and is expected to begin around September 7.
- Front Street in Scotch Plains will be resurfaced from Park Avenue to Terrill Road, a distance of .7 miles. Work is expected to begin around September 21.
- Scott Avenue in Rahway will be resurfaced from Route 27 to Routes 1&9, a distance of 1.4 miles. Work is expected to begin around September 28.
Paving will be done by Schifano Construction Corporation of Middlesex. The project is expected to cost $5,075,586.
Resurfacing removes the 2-inch riding surface of the roadway and replace it with fresh asphalt using a milling machine and paving machine. In addition, street signs are replaced and roads are restriped for better visibility. curbs cuts are installed to ensure that intersections are ADA compliant.
Stay up-to-date on paving and road related closures by visiting http://ucnj.org/traffic.