Public Info

Guidance for Union County Residents Using Shelters

Union County, NJ – The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders has issued the following alerts and updates for residents seeking emergency shelter:

“The Union County Medical Reserve Corps has been activated and is working with the Red Cross, Salvation Army and local officials to ensure that emergency shelter is available to all who need it,” said Freeholder Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “If you plan to use a shelter, please take steps to make your stay more comfortable for yourself and those sheltering with you.”

To use a municipal evacuation shelter, use the NON-EMERGENCY phone number for your local police department. Use 911 only to report life threatening emergencies.

To use the Union County Regional Evacuation Shelter at 220 Walnut Avenue in Cranford, contact the Cranford Police Department at 908-272-2222. The Union County Department of Human Services will have professional staff on site to provide mental health counseling for those who desire it.

All residents planning to use emergency shelter are asked to:

·         Bring any necessary medications and medical equipment.

·         When possible, bring bottled water and non-perishable, ready-to-eat food.

·         Bring books and other age-appropriate activities for yourself and any children with you.

·         Be aware that sleeping arrangements for overnight stays are determined by shelter staff and are meant to ensure the health, safety and comfort of all.

Residents with pets are strongly advised to shelter their pet with a friend or relative, use a commercial kennel or stay at a pet-friendly hotel. Most shelters do not accept pets for sanitary and safety reasons.

As a last resort, the Union County Regional Shelter in Cranford will make every effort to accommodate residents with pets. However, placement cannot be guaranteed.