Union County, NJ – Middle and High School students are invited to a free education and career panel discussion event hosted by the Union County Youth Services Commission entitled, “Take Control of Your Future, A Panel Discussion Giving Insight on Education and Careers” will be held on Saturday, May 18th at the Union County College Kellogg Building, 40 West Jersey Street in Elizabeth, NJ from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Parents, guardians and teachers are welcome to attend with their student. A luncheon and networking session are also included in the event.
“There are many wonderful career pathways to explore right here in Union County that depend upon a strong education,” said Union County Freeholder Chairman Linda Carter. “This event is a great opportunity for young students to get a first-hand look at the opportunities available to those who strive to do their best.”
The keynote address will be delivered by Charles Atkins Jr., who serves as Chaplain for the Garden State Youth Correctional Facility.
Members of the panel are:
- Brandon Frame, Director of Business Partnerships and Program Development at High School Inc., in his home town of Hartford, Connecticut.
- Nadirah Keith, Literacy Coordinator in the East Orange School District and 2011-2012 East Orange School District Teacher of the Year awardee.
- Amanda A. Ebokosia, Founder & CEO of the Gem Project, Inc., a nonprofit organization for children, youth and young adults. Among other honors, Ms. Ebokosia has been featured in the annual FORBES Magazine “30 under 30” list.
- George Scott, founder and business owner of Octavia Homes, LLC with his partner and sister, Sherrica McDonald.
- Ebony McQueen, founder of founder of PRINCESS Foundation and Search Engine Marketing Supervisor at a digital marketing agency in New York City.
“Take Control of Your Future,” Part II of the Union County Youth Services Commission Community Engagement Initiative, is made possible through support from the Juvenile Justice Commission and the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Pre-registration is required by visiting ucnj.org/take-control-of-your-future.