(NEWARK, NJ – Feb. 12, 2014) Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G), New Jersey’s largest electric and gas utility, is preparing for the approaching winter storm system expected to hit the region tomorrow morning through Friday morning, bringing with it snow and a wintry mix.
Up to a foot of snow accumulation is possible in some areas. While snow usually isn’t an issue for utilities, the possibility of sleet and freezing rain can increase the likelihood of downed wires and resulting power outages. Vehicles striking utility poles can also cause wires to come down.
In anticipation of the storm, PSE&G is ensuring that all available personnel are ready to respond beginning tonight. The utility is also arranging for contractors, including tree crews, to assist the utility’s own skilled workforce, and ensuring that additional supplies such as poles and transformers are on hand.
PSE&G offers the following tips to customers to prepare:
- Charge your cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices.
- Fill up your car’s fuel tank.
- Ensure you have a battery-powered radio and a supply of fresh batteries.
- Check your supply of flashlights, blankets, nonperishable food and bottled water for everyone in your family.
- Put your refrigerator and freezer at the coldest setting. Keep a blanket handy to throw over these appliances for added insulation. If electricity is interrupted, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
- Sign up for MyAccount at www.pseg.com and bookmark the mobile-friendly homepage on your smart phone so it’s easy to report outages and check restoration progress.
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G’s Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG. Call this number to report power outages or downed wires.
Accumulation of ice and heavy snow may weigh down power lines and as a result cause power lines to come down. PSE&G urges its customers to be cautious if they see downed lines. Downed wires may appear dead but should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything that it might be in contact with.
To report downed wires or power outages, customers should call PSE&G’s Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Customers with a handheld device, or who are at an alternate location with power, can also report power outages and view the status of their outage by logging in to My Account on www.pseg.com, PSE&G’s mobile-friendly website.
The utility’s Twitter and Facebook pages also keep the public informed about our restoration progress. Sign up as a follower at http://www.twitter.com/psegdelivers andwww.facebook.com/pseg to monitor restoration progress. Customers also can register for text and email alerts at www.pseg.com/myaccount.
Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest regulated gas and electric delivery utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company (www.pseg.com).