The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders, along with the Union County Department of Parks and Recreation would like to recognize the Union County Artists who received awards at a gala reception held Friday, October 28, at the conclusion of the 50th annual New Jersey State Senior Citizens Art Show in East Windsor. The art show and reception were corrordinated by the Mercer County Division of Culture and Heritage for the New Jersey State Council on the Arts.
“I’d like to congratulate all the seniors, not only the winners, but all who participated in the show and shared their artistic talents with others,” said Union County Freeholder Chairman Bruce H. Bergen.
Works of art by seniors from 21 New Jersey counties were exhibited at Meadow Lakes and were awarded honors in eleven artwork categories to both professional and non-professional artists. Awards were presented at the closing reception by the New Jersey Department of Human Services Division on Aging Services and the Mercer County Office on Aging.
The following Union County senior artists received 1st place honors during the judging:
- John Curch (Scotch Plains): Watercolor by a professional, “Italian Market in Rome”
- William Gardner (Winfield Park): Digital Art by a non-pro, “Metropolis”
- Michael Metzger (Westfield): Oil Painting by a professional, “Rhineland”
These artists received 2nd place honors:
- Robert Golderg (Springfield): Craft by a professional, pottery
- Thomas Wacaster (Clark): Oil painting by a non-pro, “Daily Commute”
These artists received 3rd place honors:
- Sam Awad (Summit): Photography by a professional, “Vertigo”
- Frank B. Marshall III (Roselle): Mixed Media by a professional, “Black America – The Dark Side”
These artists received Honorable Mention:
- Williams Daniels (Springfield): Works on Paper/Drawing by a professional, “Faerie Garden”
- Lisa DiMichele (Berkeley Heights): Acrylic painting by a non-pro, “Reno 1940s”
- Maria Irene Nobile (Union): Pastel by a non-pro, “Summer Pear”
- Susan Ucci (Elizabeth): Photography by a non-pro, “End of life”
John Curch of Scotch Plains was awarded 1st Place in the category of Watercolor by a professional for his painting titled “Italian Market in Rome.”
William Gardner of Winfield Park was awarded 1st Place in the category of Digital Art by a non-pro for his work titled “Metropolis.”
Michael Metzger of Westfield was awarded 1st Place in the category of Oil painting by a professional for his painting titled “Rhineland.”
Sam Awad of Summit received 3rd Place in the category of Photography by a professional for his work titled “Vertigo.”
Lisa DiMichele of Berkeley Heights received Honorable Mention in the category of Acrylic painting by a non-pro for her painting titled “Reno 1940s