The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders is pleased to announce that a total of 21 new miles of County roads will be repaved this season in 15 municipalities. Work will begin later this summer.
“Union County maintains more 174 miles of roadway that are of import for the transport of our residents but also goods and commerce that impacts New Jersey and the region as a whole,” said Freeholder Chairman Bruce H. Bergen. “We look forward to making progress this summer in ensuring these roads are in good condition for travel.”
Freeholder Christopher Hudak, who is a member of the Public Works and Facilities Freeholder Committee, added: “Resurfacing also makes travel on our roadways safer and more efficient. We also make improvements to signage and striping to improve visibility, and to curbing to improve safety and accessibility for people with disabilities.”
The 2017 Roads Resurfacing program will begin later this summer after the County completes the 2016 Roads Resurfacing program which was delayed last year after Governor Christie froze the state’s Transportation Trust Fund which pays in part for the program.
The 2017 Road Resurfacing program will cost approximately $8.2 million, with an approximate 50-50 funding split between the County and the State Transportation Trust Fund.
The work will be conducted at night when possible, in order to minimize the need for detours during peak travel periods.
The roads scheduled for resurfacing in 2017 are:
- Berkeley Heights/Summit: Glenside Avenue from Valley Road to Baltusrol Ave
- Berkeley Heights: Valley Road from Glenside Ave to the Somerset County Line
- Clark/Cranford: Walnut Avenue from South Avenue to Valley Road
- Elizabeth: Linden Avenue from Acme Street/ Park Entrance to Elmora Avenue
- Elizabeth/Linden: Linden Ave/Lidgerwood Avenue from Park Avenue to Edgar Road
- Hillside: Conant Street from Liberty Avenue to Salem Ave
- Linden:Wood Ave from St. Georges Avenue to Blancke St.
- Linden: Wood Ave form Pennsylvania R.R. Ave. to Rts # 1 and 9
- Mountainside: Summit Lane from Summit Road to W.R. Tracy Dr.
- Rahway: Milton Avenue to Route 1 & 9 to Broad Street
- Rahway: Hazelwood Avenue/Hart Street from Fulton Street to Randolph Avenue
- Roselle: Chestnut Street from St. Georges Avenue to 1st Avenue
- Roselle Park: Lincoln Avenue East from Chestnut Street to Galloping Hill Road
- Scotch Plains: Mountain Avenue & Willow Avenue from Route 22
- Scotch Plains: Raritan Road from Lake Avenue to Terrill Road
- Summit: Passaic Avenue from Constantine Place to River Road
- Union: Salem Road from Morris Avenue to Conant Street
- Westfield/Clark: Central Avenue from South Avenue to Barnes & Noble
For up-to-date information on road closures and other travel advisories related to County road and bridge projects, visit the interactive Road Construction Update page at ucnj.org/traffic.
To report potholes on County roads, use the convenient online form at ucnj.org/pothole.