Bayonne Bridge to remain open this weekend, providing alternate route for shore-bound traffic
The Port Authority will continue measures it implemented earlier this month to improve traffic flow at its Staten Island Bridges to minimize congestion from summer shore travelers who use the three crossings.
This weekend, the Bayonne Bridge will not close, providing travelers with an alternate crossing if traveling between New York and New Jersey. In addition, all other construction work – other than emergency repairs – will be suspended no later than 3 p.m. Sunday at all three Staten Island crossings.
The Port Authority also will have a full complement of toll collectors on duty on Sunday to expedite the flow of traffic through its toll plazas, and a full complement of police officers will be stationed at the crossings to respond immediately to accidents or disabled vehicles that may impede the flow of traffic.
The Port Authority also is planning the following lane closings and/or full closures for the Bayonne Bridge, George Washington Bridge and the Holland Tunnel this weekend and/or next week for ongoing construction and repair projects.
- One westbound lane in the Holland Tunnel will close during overnight hours on Sunday, July 30, through Thursday August 3 from 11:59 p.m. each night through 5:30 a.m. the following morning. These closures are necessary for ongoing tunnel repairs.
- One eastbound lane in the Holland Tunnel will close during overnight hours on Sunday, July 30, through Thursday August 3 from 11 p.m. each night through 5 a.m.the following morning. These closures are necessary for ongoing tunnel repairs.
- The bridge will remain open this weekend.
- The bridge will be closed Monday through Thursday nights, July 31 through August 3, from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning. On the morning of Friday, August 4, the bridge will reopen by 4:30 a.m. instead of 5 a.m. to accommodate 4:30 a.m. to 5 a.m. traffic holds at the Goethals Bridge.
George Washington Bridge:
- From 12:01 a.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday, July 29, the bridge’s lower level eastbound lanes will be closed for ongoing construction work. This work is weather dependent and could get moved to 12:01 a.m. to 8 a.m. Sunday, July 30.
- From 12:01 a.m. to 8 a.m. on Saturday, July 29, and on Sunday, July 30, two lanes on the bridge’s upper level westbound side will be closed for ongoing construction work.