Delays Anticipated on NEC and NJCL; Substitute Busing required on RVL
NJ TRANSIT is advising customers of upcoming Amtrak signal work which will impact rail travel Friday night November 10th through Saturday and Sunday November 11th-12th. Amtrak’s work, between Newark Penn Station and Secaucus, continues their effort to maintain its Northeast Corridor in a state of good repair.
NJ TRANSIT is relying on assurances by Amtrak the work will be complete prior to the start of the Monday morning rush hour on November 13th.
Beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday, November 10th and continuing through the end of service on Sunday, November 12th, customers traveling on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line may experience delays of up to 60 minutes in both directions. The Amtrak work will require signals near Newark Penn Station to be taken out of service, requiring trains to operate at restricted speeds.
To accommodate this signal work and manage train traffic through the area, NJ TRANSIT will not operate the Northeast Corridor 7600 series trains between Rahway and Penn Station New York. Customers will be accommodated by the following train which is scheduled 5-10 minutes behind the 7600 series. Those trains will add a station stop at North Elizabeth.
During that same time, Amtrak will maximize this work period to also perform track work where the Raritan Valley Line connects with the Northeast Corridor. Customers on the Raritan Valley Line will have substitute busing in place to/from Newark Penn Station as follows:
- Friday night 11/10 9 p.m. through the end of the service day busing will be in place in both directions between Cranford and Newark Penn Station.
- Saturday 11/11 and Sunday 11/12 busing will be in place all day in both directions between Union and Newark Penn Station.
Customers on these three rail lines (NEC, NJCL, RVL) are advised to allow for extra time to and from their destinations. Customers also should pay close attention to station and crew announcements.
This work will impact customers on the NEC, NJCL and RVL planning to attend the following sports events and concerts. Customers are strongly encouraged to allow plenty of extra travel time:
- 11/11 NY Rangers at MSG 1 p.m.
- 11/11 NY Knicks at MSG at 8 p.m.
- 11/11 NJ Devils at Prudential Center at 7 p.m.
- 11/12 Dead & Company concert at MSG at 7 p.m.
Important Note: M&E and Midtown Direct service will NOT be impacted by this Amtrak signal work.
- Check njtransit.com or news media before starting your trip for service advisories or alerts that may affect your trip.
- Stay connected during your commute through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Search for rail, bus or light rail-specific Twitter accounts for the best information. While we make every effort to respond to comments posted on our social media channels, we recommend that you contact our Customer Service team directly with critical or time-sensitive issues.
- Twitter: @NJTRANSIT
- Facebook: facebook.com/NJTRANSIT
- YouTube Channel: TheNewJerseyTransit
- If you will be altering your travel pattern during this time, you may want to update your travel alert preferences in your My Transit account. If you do not have a My Transit account, sign up to receive alerts at njtransit.com/mytransit.