Series of Pride Month events planned throughout the County in the month of June.
Union County, NJ – In recognition of June as LGBTQ+ Pride Month, the Union County Board of County Commissioners invites residents to participate in Pride events organized by the Union County Office of LGBTQ Affairs, as Union County joins communities across the nation in once again celebrating LGBTQ+ Pride Month 2021.
The start of Pride Month 2021 in Union County was celebrated on June 1 with the raising of the PRIDE Flag at 1:00 p.m., at the Union County Courthouse in Elizabeth.
The program of events throughout the month includes:
- Drive-In Concert featuring the 80’s tribute band Rubix Kube with Union County’s own comedian Amy Colon – Saturday, June 5 at 6:00 p.m. – Union County Vo-Tech campus, Scotch Plains
- Queer Empowerment Hour – The History of PRIDE | How Pride came to be & where we are now – Wednesday, June 9 at 7:00 p.m. – Zoom – register at org/lgbtq.
- Let Me Be Me: a youth empowerment field day for LGBTQ+ and ally youth (student ID required) – Saturday, June 19 at 11:00 a.m. – Warinanco Sports Center (turf field), Roselle
- Family Movie Night featuring How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Friday, June 25 (movie starts at dusk) – Union County Vo-Tech campus, Scotch Plains
- LGBTQ Trivia Night – Wednesday, June 30 at 7:00 p.m. – Ash Brook, Scotch Plains
“By celebrating the right of LGBTQ+ persons to be who they are, Pride Month events help to foster a sense of unity among all Union County residents,” said Commissioner Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “The Commissioner Board is proud to affirm our continued work for inclusion and acceptance with the celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride events in June.”
“June is an important month for LGBTQ+ residents in Union County, and this Commissioner Board is committed to ensuring that each resident feels included and supported,” said Commissioner Vice Chair Rebecca Williams, liaison to the Commissioner’s LGBTQ Ad Hoc Committee. “The Office of LGBTQ Affairs provides us with a foundation for partnership, tolerance and equality.”
Union County’s Office of LGBTQ Affairs, under the Department of Economic Development, was established in 2018 and is the first county government office of its kind in the State of New Jersey and one of four government offices in the nation to support the LGBTQ community, of which only two are county government offices.
Union County’s Office of LGBTQ Affairs offers a platform for leadership and collaboration to support equality, and serves as a catalyst for advocacy, awareness and action on current and emerging issues that impact the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer individuals.
For more information about the Office of LGBTQ Affairs, contact Danni Newbury, Coordinator, at 908-527-4742 or email@example.com or visit ucnj.org/LGBTQ.
For more information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including the Drive-Through Test Center at Kean University, the Mobile Test Unit walk-up sites, vaccination information, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.