Free COVID-19 shots and saliva testing to be provided to residents at multiple locations throughout the month
Union County, NJ – The Union County Board of County Commissioners informs residents that free COVID-19 vaccines and testing will be available at convenient pop-up clinics throughout the County during the month of August. The upcoming clinics will be held in Elizabeth, Union Scotch Plains Hillside and Roselle.
All residents are strongly urged to get their vaccine as soon as possible as new strains of the virus emerge and spread. In addition to vaccinations, residents can also get a COVID-19 saliva test. Residents can also get vaccinated for COVID-19 at Union County’s permanent vaccine clinics in Elizabeth, Plainfield, and Union Township.
“There is a real race against the COVID-19 variants as cases are once again rising in New Jersey and around the country,” said Union County Commissioner Board Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “We urge unvaccinated residents to make an appointment at any of our vaccination sites as soon as possible and ask that they encourage family and friends to get their shot, too.”
Union County began offering pop-up COVID-19 vaccination clinics in local communities earlier this year, in order to reach vulnerable populations including seniors, homeless individuals, and others who would have difficulty traveling to a centralized vaccine site.
“Easy access to vaccines and testing remains our focus as vaccination is key to keeping Union County residents safe while we continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Commissioner and Chair of the Public Safety Committee Sergio Granados. “The Board of County Commissioners will continue to provide residents with updated information about vaccination and testing.”
The County’s pop-up program has now expanded to include all age-approved Union County residents. Currently, any resident age 12 and older is eligible for the Pfizer vaccine. Eligibility for the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines begins at age 18. Those who receive the first dose of a two dose vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) at one of Union County’s Mobile Vaccinations Clinics will receive instructions as to how and when to receive their second dose.
Any Union County resident can make an appointment at any of the following clinics, regardless of their home town:
- Friday, August 13 in Elizabeth at Make the Road NJ, 42 Broad Street, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing)
- Saturday, August 14 in Union (held during the County’s Food Distribution event), Kean University, 1000 Morris Avenue, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing), in partnership with United Way
- Saturday, August 14 in Elizabeth, Church Without Walls Event at Steele Memorial Church, 504 Court Street, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing)
- Thursday, August 19 in Plainfield, Plainfield Milt Campbell Field (During the free Community Concert), East 3rd Street, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing)
- Friday, August 20 in Hillside, AAK Food Services/Gargiulo Produce, 535 Sweetland Avenue, 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing)
- Friday, August 20 in Plainfield (held during the County’s Food Distribution event),Gerald B. Green Plaza, 200 West Second Street, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing)
- Tuesday, August 24 in Scotch Plains, Scotch Plains High School, 200 West Second Street, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing)
- Saturday, August 28 in Roselle (held during the County’s Food Distribution event), Warinanco Park, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. (Johnson & Johnson/Pfizer vaccines/COVID-19 Saliva Testing).
Appointments at the pop-up clinics can be booked online by creating an account at ucnj.org/vax.
Residents can also get vaccinated for free at any of Union County’s four permanent vaccine clinics in Elizabeth, Plainfield, and Union Township. COVID-19 vaccines are available by appointment at Union County’s COVID-19 permanent vaccination sites: Dunn Sports Center in Elizabeth (currently offering the Pfizer vaccine), Kean University in Union Township (Moderna), and Plainfield High School in Plainfield (Pfizer). COVID-19 Vaccines are also available weekdays on a walk-in basis at the Union County Immunization Clinic located at 40 Parker Road in Elizabeth.
To schedule an appointment at Dunn Sports Center, Kean University or Plainfield High School, create an account online at ucnj.org/vax, or call 908-613-7829 (7VAX) if additional assistance is needed. Residents looking to visit the Immunization Clinic for a free COVID-19 vaccine can walk in Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Union County residents who are home-bound or have difficulty leaving the home can arrange for a home vaccination visit by contacting Union County’s service provider, Mobile Medical Services. Call 1-833-256-2478 during regular weekday business hours to speak with an operator, leave a voice message after hours to receive a callback, or email a callback request to email@example.com. Messages are returned on the following business day.
For information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including the Union County COVID-19 Test Center at Kean University, the Mobile Test Unit, vaccination information, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
For all Union County programs and services visit ucnj.org, call the Public Info Line, 877-424-1234, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the online Contact Form.
Connect with Union County on social media.