Enjoy Music by Local Band “Alter the Ending” Before the Movie!
The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the Department of Parks & Community Renewal are happy to announce the schedule of “Family Fun and Flix” – the free summer outdoor entertainment and film series that gives families a chance to catch a movie under the stars in a Union County park.
“Family Fun and Flix begins at dusk, but come early to the park to enjoy interesting preview activities at 7:30 p.m. that are fun for the whole family,” said Freeholder Chairman Deborah Scanlon. “Bring a blanket or beach chair to claim your spot on the lawn or save a seat in the bleachers – either way, the early birds are sure to like the preview activity before each movie.”
The opening film this summer will be the documentary/concert film, “Justin Bieber: Never Say Never,” the first G-rated movie from MTV Films. The movie follows pop star Justin Bieber on tour in the days leading up to his Madison Square Garden concert in 2010. “Justin Bieber: Never Say Never” will be shown outdoors, free of charge at Briant Park in Summit on Friday, June 24.
Before the showing of “Never Say Never” on June 24, the popular young pop/rock/alternative band “Alter the Ending” will perform a set of their songs for the early birds at Briant Park. Alter the Ending is a local band from Berkeley Heights, consisting of singer/guitarist Andrew Pacheco, 14, guitarist Billy Manning, 14, Bassist Dylan Quesada, 13, and drummer Luke Blecker, 14. The group has performed throughout the tri-state area, including at the Stone Pony, the Starland Ballroom and at the Bamboozle Festival in the Meadowlands.
The other dates and locations for this summer’s Family Fun and Flix are:
• Tuesday, July 12 at Warinanco Park in Roselle/Elizabeth: the whole family will enjoy experimenting with Mad Science before the screening of “Despicable Me.”
• Tuesday, July 19 at Warinanco Park: there will be Basketball Fun and Games followed by the animated feature film, “Space Jam.”
• Tuesday, July 26 at Warinanco Park: see if you can Kung Fu your way to self defense before watching the original “Kung Fu Panda.”
• Tuesday, August 2 at Meisel Park in Springfield: Take part in National Night Out, sponsored by PBA Local #73, before viewing “G-Force.”
• Tuesday, August 9 at Meisel Park in Springfield: Make a fishy craft project before the showing of “Finding Nemo.”
• Friday, August 19 at Echo Lake Park in Mountainside: Enjoy a classic car show by G-Wiz Auto Entertainment and the Garden State Chevelles before the animated adventure comedy, “Cars.”
All movies start at dusk, weather permitting. For more information, call the Union County Department of Parks and Community Renewal at 908-527-4900. For program and rain information call 908-558-4079 after 3:00 p.m. on the day of the show.
“Alter the Ending” – the popular young musicians from Berkeley Heights – will perform a set of their songs on Friday, June 24, at Briant Park in Summit before the free showing of the film “Justin Bieber: Never Say Never.” The live music starts at 7:30 p.m. and the movie follows at dusk, weather permitting. For more information, call the Union County Department of Parks and Community Renewal at 908-527-4900. For program and rain information call 908-558-4079 after 3 p.m. on the day of the show.