Union County, NJ — The Union County Board of County Commissioners advises residents impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic that emergency food supplies will be distributed at three sites in August. Any Union County resident needing COVID-19 emergency food supplies can come to any these events.
Free COVID-19 vaccinations and tests will also be available to all Union County residents at these sites.
“The combination of food distribution sites with vaccination and testing helps to expand access to these vital services. We strongly encourage any resident who needs a COVID-19 vaccination or test to use any of our free locations throughout Union County,” said Commissioner Chairman Alexander Mirabella.
“We are making progress in the fight against COVID-19 and emerging variants but our residents continue to face housing issues, food insecurity and unemployment,” said Commissioner Sergio Granados who also serves as Liaison to the Human Services Advisory Board. “We thank Village Super Market, Gargiulo Produce and CMC Foods for their continued partnership in these efforts.”
The combined food distribution, vaccination and testing events conducted by Union County in August are:
- Saturday, August 14, beginning at 8:00 a.m., at Kean University, 1000 Morris Avenue in Union Township. This event is drive-up only for food distribution. Participants must stay in vehicle while event staff loads supplies. Residents wishing to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination or test can park on site and walk to the clinic, located at Downs Hall.
- Tuesday, August 24, beginning at 11:00 a.m., at Gerald B. Green Plaza in Plainfield. This is a walk-up event. Those coming for emergency food supplies are advised to bring a cart or wagon.
- Saturday, August 28, beginning at 8:00 a.m. at the Warinanco Sports Center, 1 Park Drive in Warinanco Park in Roselle. This is a walk-up event. Those coming for emergency food supplies are advised to bring a cart or wagon.
The August 14 and August 24 events are coordinated by Union County with support from Village Supermarkets, Gargiulo Produce and CMC Foods. The August 28 event is supported by Village Supermarkets and Gargiulo Produce.
These three events are open to all Union County residents. Masks and social distance are strongly recommended. Please note the following:
- Emergency food supplies are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. No registration is required to receive food.
- Testing is available at all three food distribution sites on a walk-in basis. No appointment is required.
- Vaccines are available at all three sites on an appointment basis. Appointments can be booked online at org/vax. Walk-ins may also be seen as time allows.
Residents seeking free COVID-19 vaccines can also use any of the permanent sites run by Union County. The Union County Mobile Vaccine Unit also visits local communities on a rotating basis, and these visits are open to all County residents. Visit ucnj.org/vax for a list of locations and to make an appointment.
Free COVID-19 tests are available at these locations, and at Union County’s permanent testing site located at Downs Hall at Kean University. To book an appointment online visit ucnj.org/covid19/testing/covid19testing.
Union County residents who need additional assistance with the online booking system for vaccinations or tests can call the Union County COVID-19 Call Center at 908-613-7829.
For questions and more information regarding emergency food distribution, call the UCDHS Director’s Action Line at 888-845-3434 or 908-558-2288.
To find out about more resources during the COVID-19 pandemic, including rent relief, visit ucnj.org/covid19.
To learn more about Village Super Market, visit: https://www.myvillagesupermarket.com.
To learn more about Gargiulo Produce, visit: http://www.gargiuloproduce.com.
To learn more about CMC Foods, visit: https://cmcfoodsus.com/.
For more information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including the Drive-Through Test Center at Kean University, the Mobile Test Unit walk-up sites, vaccination information, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.